Marantz PM66KI amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Low Volume in Right Channel

Just read all of the forum post on this one as have a problem on my PM 66 SE KI.

It happened some time ago and seemed to resolve itself. It has now happened again and hasn't resolved itself yet though. The left channel seems fine but the right channel has a very low volume level in comparison.

If you press the source direct button both channels work fine but the right is very low. If you disable the source direct and use the L+R fader you can tell that the right channel although working is extremely low.

Not sure if it is a weak component or something that someone has had before.

Anyone help with this one?

Thanks for that Brent. I had already tried the obvious like trying other source connectors and troubleshooting components and cables etc.

Took the lid off to see what I could see. It seems that many of the board componenets are split to each channel and are similar with some shared.

The design of the circuitry is very neat and all the capacitors etc. are also very neat. I noticed that the capacitor C805 was wonky and leaning over by about 45-50 degrees. I very gently straightened it and hey presto we have a fully functioning right channel now at the same audio level as the left!

I have not de-soldered and re-soldered it yet as it is working but I suppose I may do if it happens again.

Just in case someobody else has this problem there is the answer. Now I can go back to really appreciating what I spent all my hard earned cash on....beautiful!

I thought I'd have another look at my PM6010KI today. I removed all the output transistors and powered up, but the relay still didn't click. I have now removed every transistor except Q801 & Q802 which I replaced with new. Still no relay click.

I'm kinda out of ideas, is there anywhere I can take voltage readings to try and trace the fault?

Hhheeelllppp (again) please?

Lee.

Did I buy a ringer? PM-66SE KI trips if driven too loud.

Hi,

Old thread, my first post here.

My very old Marantz PM-66SE died a few weeks ago. Well, the left channel died.

So I bought a supposedly unused Marantz PM-66SE KI.

I hooked it up to my usual sources - a slimdevices (now logitech) squeezebox (SB) and a CISCO cable set top box (STB). These both have the dubious feature that if I use their volume control, I can control the signal volume to the amp.

The squeezebox goes into the CD inputs, the set top box into the AUX inputs.

During use, I found the amp makes an audible click as if a switch is tripped and sound to the speakers is cut off. I can control this by increasing the volume on the amp, or the volume on the SB or STB.

The end result is I cannot play anything very loud without the trip happening.

If I use the headphones the amp doesn't do this.

The speakers are KEF Q35, which are as old as my half-dead PM-66SE.

I need to determine what the likely source of the problem is as I have the possibility to return the unit. But is it the fault of the SB, STB or even the speakers?

Can anyone help here?

Many thanks in advance,
BoB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.