Problems with Alesis RA-500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

i have a problem with one channel of an Alesis RA-500 Amp. If i connect a signal generator and an oscilloscope to the amp everything i can see is a distorted signal that decreases from the time i start the amp to a certain point and which is lower in level compared to the other channel. If i play music with this channel the output is very low an distorted. So far i have checked all transistors, diodes, caps and resistors on the main amp pcb O.K., there is no !! voltage drop over the emitter resistors, the supply voltages for output and driver stage are allright. There´s another small pcb attached to this board which seem to include the protection circuit and a small part of signalcircuit.
Maybe someone here could help me with this or have a schematic of the RA-500.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Frank

Thanks for the help Chris,

now i have checked everything and finally resolder all joints just for sure but the distorted low level output still remains.I´m running out of ideas. I have asked the Alesis distributor for a replacement board but without a reply yet.

Frank

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Frank,
Stick your negative meter lead on the positive speaker output terminal. Measure the bases of the outputs and drivers. Record the voltages.

If you can find the differential pair, measure the emitter voltages with respect to ground.

-Chris

i wish i would have checked this forum earlier. I purchased a ra-500 from alesis website. 4 months later right after the warranty is gone, the left channel is no longer working. I am experiencing similar problems as Frank. This amp must have been designed/constructed poorly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.