Color codes on transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I got two quite big(600VA - 9 kg) toroidial transformers from an old amplifier but I cant figure out the connections. There is a red and black wire in one side and a blue, orange, yellow, red and grey in the other. The resistance betwen the wires are as follows:

Red-Black = <0,2

Blue-orange = 0,7
orange-yellow = <0,1

red-grey = 0,7

Can anybody tell me what's the primary and the secondary?
I live in an 230V country and was thinking if the "Blue-orange" and the "red-grey" could be connected in series as the primary?
Hope you can help

Best regards
Anders

No,see if your getting resistance between orange and blue and you connect them you'll short the winding :xeye: it seems like the 2 windings with the 0.7 resistance are the primaries (dual 120 volt) then 2 less resistances are seconadaries. I'm not sure about the phase connections on the primaries but this is only IMO,Perhaps somebody (peter?) could also lend an opinion?? ;)

Edit: Go here: http://www.plitron.com/Pages/Products/Std/schemati.htm
it might help.

Normally the thinnest wires are the primaries.

To be safe, connect 24 V AC to the asumed 220/230 V winding. Then measure the voltage at the other windings. Multiply the value by 230/24 =9.17-9.58

If you happen to get 24 VAC from a another winding, the transformer has 2 x 110 V primary, the you have to change to multiplication factor.

not to say your wrong P-A but to multiply it by 230 shouldn't you put 1voltAC into the primary? then when you multipy the output of the secondaries by 230 you get the real value they would output from 230ac and compare it to what it's sopossed to be?? i mean if u put 24 in you should multiply the output by 240/24 or 10? ok dun mind me i was never good at math :xeye:

CryingDragon said:
No,see if your getting resistance between orange and blue and you connect them you'll short the winding :xeye: it seems like the 2 windings with the 0.7 resistance are the primaries (dual 120 volt) then 2 less resistances are seconadaries. I'm not sure about the phase connections on the primaries but this is only IMO,Perhaps somebody (peter?) could also lend an opinion?? ;)

Thank you for the reply!

Well, I think you misunderstood me. What I was thinking of was to connect the orange and red(maybe orange and grey) to get a series connection betwen the two windings. So I guess we agree. The link you provided was just what I was looking for although the colors dont match. I try to connect a low voltage and see what happens :)

CryingDragon said:
not to say your wrong P-A but to multiply it by 230 shouldn't you put 1voltAC into the primary? then when you multipy the output of the secondaries by 230 you get the real value they would output from 230ac and compare it to what it's sopossed to be?? i mean if u put 24 in you should multiply the output by 240/24 or 10? ok dun mind me i was never good at math :xeye:

Sorry, CryingDragon, think really hard. If you lower the voltage, it's safer both for you and the transformer with low test voltage. 230/24 is around 9.58 and I say around. Asuming that you have really have found the primary winding and it's only one, then every other voltage get 9.58 times lower than it would have been if you had connected 230 volts. If you should multiply with 219/24, 223/24, 236/24 or what ever is determined of where you live.

Anders DK said:
CryingDragon said:

If you do have 2 x 110/120 volts you know about the "dots"?

Wrong "polarity" in series connection and the transformer will die (if you don't have fuses that is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.