Nad 314 broken\protection circut active

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys!

i reccon some of you are serveice technicians and so i wonder if any of you have been in the guts of a nad intigrated and seen the problem i have, before?

bought this amp for 25bucks, broken, hoping to fix it, so i'l have something to lend my ear to when everything else i have is in peices awaiting inspection and potesial improvement ;) (yes, this is quite the problem for me :D )

the thing is that when i turn the amp on, the led in front is red, and when i enable the "direct" function, it plays happily.
leads me to beliving the fault could be in the VAS, perhaps the VAS power suply? it appears to have a dedicated VAS suply, something which i have not seen before at least.

i read on another thread conserning the 304 that nad uses transistor based regulation, and that those transistors are prone to faliure?
i'm not at my apartment right now, so i have no multimeter or such, but hope to get some tips before i start going through the whole amp, so i hopefully wont have to ;)

If anyone could supply the repair manual for the unt, it would be great as well!

appreciate any feedback!
-Marius

I'm sorry, I just have to ask this. Nothing but accolades for their perfomance, while alive, but two friends who've owned them frequently had their NAD amps in for repair. I thought at the time that, well, you just can't nail down anything general based on two examples. But this is the second request I've seen this week here for help repairing an NAD amp. Anyone else out there have tales of woe?

I'm always on the lookout for good used equipment. I'd like to know if there are brands that should be avoided.

hey guys.

i feel so stupid, yet so lucky..

the thing is that i had missunderstood the old owner of the amp, i thought that i had to enable tone deffeat, but who and behold, it was that only the "main in" innput worked, he had discarded the pins that go from the pre out to the main in. :D

my teacher and i looked at it for an hour or two, than he all of a sudden sees the name of the two phono's, and starts laughing, no wonder we couldn't track the sinus wave into the amplification part itself. :)

so, i got myself a fully functional nad for 25bucks :D
almost mint condission to!

thanks for your effort to help me out though guys!
appreciate it!

-Marius

hehe, yeah, the feeling bad part flew out the window as soon as i turned the amp on and listened to some tracks on this thing, amazing!

the GC is dismanteled right now, but i think the two of them might very well be on par. but then again, i really didn't expect any lesser of it :)

the headphone output to is very good.

-Marius

Hi Marius.

You are not the first to make that mistake, there are close to countlesss others, including myself.
In my previous job I`ve sold several hundred NAD amps, and quite often there was a customer with a "broken" amp. :)

BTW have you made any tube amps yet?

Regards,
Peter

Peter M. said:
Hi Marius.

You are not the first to make that mistake, there are close to countlesss others, including myself.
In my previous job I`ve sold several hundred NAD amps, and quite often there was a customer with a "broken" amp. :)

BTW have you made any tube amps yet?

Regards,
Peter

Peter, i'v had a go with some very basic circuts just to get the feel for tubes, but i must admit, i dont think audio nirvana is down that road, for me at least. :)
i'm looking into tubes usage in guitar amplification though, where i actually WANT distortion ;)

but i have a lot on my plate as of right now, picking up my first car this week as well, a project car, cause i really need something to pour time, energy and money into :cool:

Nigel Goodwin said:
I've seen quite a few faulty NAD amps, the quality of construction leaves a LOT to be desired, and personally I've never thought they were particularly good?. However, they had rave reviews in the past?, but I never believe reviews anyway :cool:

I'm not much of a beliver in subjectiv opinions either, but i'm impressed both by the buildqulity of this thing and the audio performance. it doesn't want me to know it's there, and thats A Good Thing in my book.

edit: i have seen older nad amps btw, and on those with brown printcard i will agree with you, quality is not what i would attribute it. (we'v had a couple comming through the shop)
mine has greenish blue print however. it doesent stand back for the 1kbuck rotel i fixed the other day. the rotel had a better looking frontplate and such offcource :)

-Marius

demogorgon said:

I'm not much of a beliver in subjectiv opinions either, but i'm impressed both by the buildqulity of this thing and the audio performance. it doesn't want me to know it's there, and thats A Good Thing in my book.

That the point of any amp really, but all the NAD amps I've seen have never impressed me with either their build quality, or the quality of the PCB design and internal construction. If asked, I would place them as cheaply designed and built in China?.

I've only seen a limited range of NAD amps, all of which needed repair, it's quite possible that they do a superior range as well?, which are more reliable?.

last i heard they were english?

Most i'v seen come out of china, theese days at least, makes me want to cry it ever crossed the boarder, but the nad dosen't give me that feeling. could be china made though, for all i know.

but the chineese dont use 10.000uf caps for a 2x40W amp.
i get the feeling its made, not only with the "mechanical" problemsolving attitude of chineese gear, but done with a bit of sober finesse as well, something you dont see much any more.

could be my subconseus playing trics on me though :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.