Very newb question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As you can see from the title I am just dipping my toes into the water here. I come from the projection side of diy and I am an audophile as well. I can solder fairly well but not that great at understanding circuit designs. All i really want to do is build my own 10" or 12" sub box for HT with a descent amp, possibly this one 250W Subwooder amp . I am kinda tight on my budget wichi is directly proportional to gas prices and tuition :bawling:. I do not really want to exceed $300 at most, less is more prefered. I just want something that will pack a gorgeous punch, lol better then my little 6.25" magnavox TIB sub. I would reather learn how to read the circuitry and give it a shot myself but it's probably easier to make suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you buy subwoofer elements with good effiency ( >96 dB SPL per Watt )
you may use less power.
Maybe even a LM3886 Chip Amp ( 60 Watt ) will give enough power to shake your house.

60 Watt into 96 dB SPL
gives same Sound Pressure Level as
240 Watt into 90 dB SPL

Each 3 dB is like doubleing power of amplifier.

hey there lineup,
thanks bro i never knew that regarding db's. Just thought the higher the louder but no correlated to wattage. I was considering using the 250w amp i posted before with an infinity sub here. The sub is 4 ohms so the amp should be pressing around 272W assuming the specs are right on the money. Or this sub , which cost more but goes down to 18hz

» 12" 4-ohm subwoofer
» polypropylene woofer cone with large-roll rubber surround
» innovative basket design
» frequency response: 23-400 Hz
» power range: 60-300 watts RMS (1,000 watts peak power)
» sensitivity: 93 dB
» progressive spider design
» top-mount depth: 5"
» sealed box volume: 1.25 cu. ft.
» ported box volume: 2.0 cu. ft.

Gives 93 dB per 1 Watt at a distance of 1 meter from Loudspeaker.
It is better sensitivity/effiency than a normal.
Many normal loudspeakers you buy, is like 88-90dB at 1 Watt.

001 W = 93 dB sound level
002 W = 96
004 W = 99
008 W =102
016 W =105 dB
032 W =108
064 W =111
128 W =114 dB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.