strange amp problem!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi there
i have a 2 channel car amp(110WrmsX2) that i've been using in bridged mode as a subwoofer amp for a long time now with no trouble at all but suddenly it started acting strange :rolleyes:

it turns on fine and sounds perfect at low levels but when i raise the volume it cuts and goes into protection and then it tries to come back again and then cuts..... and so on unless i reduce the volume then it plays normally !!!

it overheats with the load connected even with no input! but if i disconnect the sub it doesn't heat at all .

i took it apart and removed the heat sink and power it up for 5 minutes with no load and no transistors(power or drivers) got even warm!!!! so i removed all power transistors and mosfets and even the power supply's diodes and measured them with my multimeter with no sign of failure for any of them,and the pcb looks clean with no sign of overheating or cracks,and there are no pots at all to set the bias .

i measured the power supply which seems to be ok at +/- 42 volts.

i noticed that one of the channels output is -8 volts dc with no input or load connected (that's a huge offset)!! the other channel is fine.
what could be the cause of this problem??:(

Hi,
-8Vdc offset is enormous. Sounds like something has broken, it's just the smoke hasn't escaped yet.

-8vdc through a 4ohm speaker will be pulling 2A through the negative transistor of the output stage as well. Both the amp and speaker will overheat. Disconnecting the load and running it open circuit stops the current flow and apparently cures the overheating.

thnx for all the replies.

i've changed the output power transistors with no change at all, is it possible for one of the driver transistors to do this while still giving a good reading on the multimeter , i thought it could only be good or bad but no (in-between) states!!

do i have to take all drivers and predrivers out to test??

i'm also confused because the amp works at low power level (20watts) and then it cuts when bushed harder , i've fixed many amps before with blown power stages but i never faced that situation :xeye:

widomaker , how could i spot the dry or leaky elctrolytic ??

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Moonchild,
Look for cracked solder joints near the heavier components on the board. A capacitor may leak a little directly underneath the cap. You may not see it. Look in the voltage amp section (you didn't have high current draw with the load disconnected).

-Chris

hi , happy new year everybody :)

after some testing i found that the bass and emitter of all power transistors have -8 volts on them while the collectors are on Vcc or Vdd according to polarity of the transistor, this is only on one channel the other one seems fine..

any help????

Hi,
I am not too good at fault finding, but I think that all the emitters at -8V indicates that all the output devices are carrying the same currents. However the bases should be either +0.7V or -0.7V away from their respective emitter voltages. Confusing?

There may be a NFB loop trying to correct this error. Go back to post 2? and check what he said.

I had a similar problem on a guitar amp, one output transistor conducted enough current to put the speaker out at 27v, all transistors were functioning, the problem was broken pads on the driver transistors.

Possibly you have a similar problem, as its only 8v the drivers are probobly fine. Try bending the transistors back and forth and see if anything moves on the solder side of the board.

i'm back with some more testing results ;)

the supply voltage during this test was +/- 38.5 volts.
none of the output transistors even got warm during the test although they arn't mounted to the heat sink!!!

i took ur advice anatech and referenced my multimeter's negative to the speaker output terminal ( emitters ) during this test , and here r the results:

for the NPN transistor pair:

Base 0.4 volts
Collector 47 volts

for the PNP transistor pair:

Base 0.47 volts
Collector 30.7 volts

then i connected the multimeter's groung to the supply ground and repeated the test with the following results:

the NPN pair:

Base -7.6 volts
Emitter -8.1 volts

the PNP pair:

Base -8.6 volts
Emitter -8.1 volts

waiting for ur replys :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi moonchild,
Right now the outputs aren't conducting, or just barely. Mount the outputs to a heatsink or you may lose them when something goes wrong.

Poobah is quite right. We need to make and model, ideally a scan of the schematic to give you some useful answers.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.