power cord

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a new amp, and i figured along with it I would get a good power cord, and what the heck while I was at that I figured I would get a new power cord for my other amp as well. Unfortunately I didn't check the back of the other amp. Its a NAD C320BEE, I had remembered that it had a socket and so I thought I could plug in a new cord no problem. Well it has a ac socket I guess to plug in another piece of equipment to it. My question is how easy would it be to rig in a IEC receptacle so that I could plug in the new cord. Is it risky? I've never really done anyting remotely diy with amps and I dont really care to go about breaking anything. It looks like it would be simple enough but like I said I dont really know. And is it worth it? Its an absolute power cord that cost me 50 bucks.. would I be better off just saving it for perhaps some future application? Thanks for any help!

Bruce

Bruce,

To answer your question (and with respect to what Lineup said), it should be very easy to change the power socket on any amplifier. I am a little confused when you mention that "it has an ac socket to plug in another piece of equipment." If this is an ac outlet socket connected to a main mains (input) receptacle to supply power to ancillary equipment, then there might be serie fuses/switches involved. So, to qualify, it should be easy provided you do the right thing! IEC is pretty much the standard thing so the conversion might be prudent.

But if the amp has collector value as Lineup suggests, perhaps you should use an intermediate cord. If you feel hesitant, I am sure you can consult with a knowledgeable electronic friend.

A power chord costing $50?

Regards

I would not modify the power cord for this amp.
The chance of improvement is close to zero.
The chance of worsening is 50%.
The chance of dramatically reduced safety is 80%.
The chance to loose any potential for collector value is 99%.

...just my two cents.
Save the new cord for another component, where you can use it without modification.

The NAD C320BEE is the essence of NAD’s unique combination of performance, value, and simplicity.
It is a reasonably-priced, unassuming integrated amplifier with performance far beyond the expected,
including an amazing amount of effective power, and with great flexibility as well for today’s listening.
It is the latest product of the design imagination of Bjorn Erik Edvardsen,
whose innovative engineering for NAD dates back to the famous 3020,
the world’s best-selling amplifier.
"This new circuitry requires less cooling, while maintaining the ability to handle complex-impedance loads as low as 2 ohms," says Stone. "By adding a second high-voltage rail to our well-regulated, high-current power supply, we get an overdrive that can nearly double the continuous-power rating on a short-term, dynamic-power basis. PowerDrive offers greater amplifier stability and low-impedance drive capability, resulting in less distortion when driving real speakers with real program material."

http://www.soundstage.com/gettingtechnical/gettingtechnical200503.htm

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/C320BEE_closerlook.htm

:)

Don't mess with AC inputs until you get some experience with low voltage stuff first... AC wiring inside an amp is not a good place to start.

Take your $50 cord back... and after whipping the salesman a few times with it... get your money back. If you still need a cord, go to a computer store and buy a heavy duty one for a monitor... $8 tops. Fancy power cords for audio are pure BS... Take the other $42 and send it to me!

;)

I did this on a amp because the original word was in my eyes too thin for a 2x100w amp and that it was damaged where it came out of the plastig retainer. I changed it to a IEC connector and actually experienced a tad better sound as the power cord got thicker as well as better on handling current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.