Borbely Audio - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2005, 12:54 PM   #11
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Borbely Audio

Quote:
Originally posted by biovizier
Anyone tried their kit? Specifically the phono or buffer units?
Erno has his JFET/MOSFET thing and this is implemented to 100% whether this is right or wrong. I like this. All his designs are "approved" by me, nothing weird, good engineering. The only objection I have is possible his handmade pcb layouts. Even a student nowadays handles Eagle or whatever to do real nice looking pcb's. For the prices he is charging I at least would have demanded highest professional pcb's both in looks and in performance. The pcb's he is offering now looks a bit "vintage". I haven't examined the pcb layout itself, how good the are in the electrical sense. I'll believe they are pretty good but I don't know if they reach "Spitzenklasse".

I haven't mentioned the prices: 850 EUR/USD for a kit
Old 19th December 2005, 01:45 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well,
I think that transformers have a sound of their own, and I am no fan of transformers. If you are, go for the S&B transformers, and dual superbuffers.

I will go for the /420 with the upgrade option, ie Caddock resistors and maybe even BG caps. Teflon PCB of course.

Sigurd
Old 19th December 2005, 01:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I assume the 320 would be better than the 420? Did you use the top of the range all fet reg?
Old 19th December 2005, 02:01 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The 320 amd the 420 are rather similar. The most dramatic difference is that the 320 uses a MOSFET on the ouptut while the 420 uses JFETs.

The 320 can probably handle lower output level MC pickups.
The 320 is a bit pricey for my taste. I hardly play any LPs but when I do I want a very, very good RIAA amp!

Yes, I use the 254 PS and also have the 319. Nowadays, however, I use Per-Anders RFB02 for rectifying purposes.
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-50719/hifi/rfb02/index.html
used with either soft FREDs or Schottky diodes.

I just ordered another 254 which I will use for another line amp.
Borbely has 10% discount in December!

Sigurd
Old 19th December 2005, 02:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Borbely Audio

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

Erno has his JFET/MOSFET thing and this is implemented to 100% whether this is right or wrong. I like this. All his designs are "approved" by me, nothing weird, good engineering. The only objection I have is possible his handmade pcb layouts. Even a student nowadays handles Eagle or whatever to do real nice looking pcb's. For the prices he is charging I at least would have demanded highest professional pcb's both in looks and in performance. The pcb's he is offering now looks a bit "vintage". I haven't examined the pcb layout itself, how good the are in the electrical sense. I'll believe they are pretty good but I don't know if they reach "Spitzenklasse".

I haven't mentioned the prices: 850 EUR/USD for a kit

The circuit boards are not very pretty. Also, single sided. Nice heavy traced, double sided board would be a big improvement.
The 419 was 300.00 USD Delivered.

George
Old 20th December 2005, 02:02 AM   #16
fab is offline fab  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: in EB693/129

Quote:
Originally posted by john-china

almost in Amp designed by borbely audio , open loop gain is above 85db, open loop frequence is only 2.2khz -3db ,

so i think conflict with prof. Leach
I think you refer to the Servo DC-50.

Erno Borbely more recent designs have also different open loop frequency or gain. For example, the EB-1198/116 ALL-FET line amp has 67db open loop gain (medium open loop gain compared to 85db) with open loop frequency close to 20 KHz! Its open loop THD at 3V rms is 0.095% at 10 KHz.

Hide this!Advertise here!