Death of Gain Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp have " high biased driver stage ", which drive load and by higher levels also OS. Crossover distortion will be " shifted " near to higher levels and probably will be less hearable, than by " normal " amp...Thanks to using of input j-fets sound will be little bit softer, than by using of BJT ones at this position... Price of devices will be funny...

I dare to say to all Gainclone lovers that the Gainclone is not the final word in SS amplification.

Perhaps, Widowmaker's circuit sounds 'significantly better' than the gainclones that he heard.

I for one have the Stochino Amp which leaves the competition of the Gainclone far behind.

Those who want to debate can define 'significantly better' according to their terms and I mean it includes all that.

rick57 said:
What is the degree of difficulty to build, vs gainclone, or a Nelson Pass class A amp?

And what was the total parts cost?

Thanks

I believe by these points this can never be competition. The difference in number of parts (and thus price) is just too big. I do not believe everyone that has a GC can say that it is the best amp in the world. But could just be the best that little money and specially effort can buy.
Unless you put all the fets for the amplification stages of this amp into one IC and sell it for 5 bucks... I thought the whole idea of GC is the minimal component count, you do not even need a circuit board to build one, just solder the few caps and resitors onto the pins...

My compliments for the excellent design. But I think the name is not appropriate. It is just a different league...

I would suggest a name for that thread: 'The Death of MY Gain Clone', because mine is still doing very well: ;)

http://www.6moons.com/lettersfeedback/lettersfeedback.html
My current system consists of Zu Druids, Modwright SWL 9.0 SE and I just received my Patek SE. That little amp is a freakin' work of art. Small yes, but like the watch, it is a gem. WOW!

Now to the sound. My last amp was the Aleph J and prior to that was the First Watt F2 and a Butler 2250 before that. All pieces I learned about from 6moons. Anyway, I thought the Aleph J was superb, but the Patek is in a different league. Stunning, dynamic, powerful and yet smooth as silk. Massed strings have no etch whatsoever, bass is deep and powerful and tuneful. The imaging and layering of the soundstage is unlike anything I have ever heard. I have had a pretty good sense of images across the stage, but never the layers of depth that I am getting now.

I just wanted to thank you for going down this path and writing about it. This combo is going to get me off the treadmill, that's for sure. Ear-to-ear grins abound!

Steve Jeffcoat

Samuel Jayaraj said:
I dare to say to all Gainclone lovers that the Gainclone is not the final word in SS amplification.

Perhaps, Widowmaker's circuit sounds 'significantly better' than the gainclones that he heard.

I for one have the Stochino Amp which leaves the competition of the Gainclone far behind.

Those who want to debate can define 'significantly better' according to their terms and I mean it includes all that.

This is the schematic of a 'High-speed 100W amplifier' based on Stochino design from 1997 Electronics & Wireless World.

It is far more complicated than DoGC.

Notice use of parallelled 2N5551 and 2N5401 small signal transistors!
as drivers of IRF640 and IRF640 HEXFET.

Aslo using TL431 as VBE-multiplier to set/hold output stage bias.

Attachments

• stochino.jpg
    stochino.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 5,336
Upupa Epops said:
I don't understand uninterrupted desire for some simply design...

It is not that, this thing is more competition to aleph series, KSA50, doz and that kind of amps... It is a totally different aproach in building an amplifier.

If you want simplicity, go build a chip amp. If not, than build something else. It is two entire different concepts. I do not see what this amp has in common with a chip amp as the GC from a DIY point of view...
The end result are two boxes which both amplify, and one will probably perform better to once taste than the other. But that is not the only thing DIY is about.

When you have compared your amp to at least 5 Gainclones, some with buffers, some without, some with regulated power supplies and some with snubbered powersupplies and even some with SMPS (ala NUUK). When you have done that, and it has conclusively bettered every one with an impartial testing panel - I personally will agree with you that you have killed the Gainclone.
Have you done this yet? If not stop making stupid statements.

I have Gainclones which sound great, I also have gainclones which sound strident and strained. I also have a SEPP valve amp which conclusively betters any gainclone I have heard, but then again it could hardly be considered simple to implement or cheap.
Gainclones have there place and will better a lot of complex amps which they come up against, but they are not the end of the road.

Shoog

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I have played with lots of GCs, regulated, buffered, (though I haven't tried a valve front end yet) snubberised, hi-cap, low cap, and I keep going back to my inverted minimal OPA549 design. It works, the other, more complex ones don't. At least to my ears. YMMV ;)

Shoog said:
When you have compared your amp to at least 5 Gainclones, some with buffers, some without, some with regulated power supplies and some with snubbered powersupplies and even some with SMPS (ala NUUK). When you have done that, and it has conclusively bettered every one with an impartial testing panel - I personally will agree with you that you have killed the Gainclone.
Have you done this yet? If not stop making stupid statements.

I have Gainclones which sound great, I also have gainclones which sound strident and strained. I also have a SEPP valve amp which conclusively betters any gainclone I have heard, but then again it could hardly be considered simple to implement or cheap.
Gainclones have there place and will better a lot of complex amps which they come up against, but they are not the end of the road.

Shoog

There is no way any popular amplifier can be killed.

Rod 'ESP' Elliot did not seriously think he would kill Nelson Pass ZEN
with his 'Death of Zen' = DoZ.
And widowmaker neither think he will kill Gainclone
with his 'Death Of Gainclone' = DoGC.
I am sure of this.

By naming like this, instead these designers express a silent admiration
for these very successful rivals.
A sort of recognition we might say.

And telling us they are some amplifiers
that are really worth to try to compete against and to compare with.

Good luck, widowmaker!
You might need it!
;)

I had to re-draw the circuit a bit to see the 120pF, 4.5uH, 500 Ohm, 27ohm feedback topology .. That is the feedforward part right?

I have no experience with that kind of topologies, but I have read about the Quad amp it is similar.. but could you explain? I never understood it..

Seems like a vey cool project to build such an amp.. nice:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.