Is this box good for small A class amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got luckily for free two cast Al enclosures : they are std 19" rack width and I think 2U height, with cooling fins on the rear, all sides are 4mm thick.

cast_al_box_rear.jpg

cast_al_box.jpg

Can I use one of these for small A class amp like JLH amp or similar or I need something with larger cooling area ?

Hi Bubba Zanetti,

Yes it looks (through the darkness) to be 3.5" height. Looking at the size of those fins it would possibly be at least 0.3C/W, and good enough for an 'efficient' 40-50W Class A. I would be raising it off the surface on platform feet for better convection. Use one per channel - monoblocks.

Of course you could put a stereo 150W/channel Class AB in each.

Cheers,
Greg

First, tnx all for fast reply,

Yes, space for transformer almost doesn't exist there, even for very slim toriodal , but I've got 2 PSU boxes like this:

48V_PSU.jpg

On right side of PSU is some old 400VA transformer to get the
approx. size of box - my idea is to remove old PCB's from this box and put transformer , greatz, PCB's and two spare Sprague capacitors as power supply for my future amp - so I can have separate power supply.

Then in other cast box will be placed only amp pcb with output transistors.

On PSU box there are 3 heatsinks as can been seen, 2 per sides and one on back - are they suitable for semiconductors on regulated power supply for example, 2x15 W JLH amp ?

I'm not sure if there can be some problems with hum and ground loops when using power supply in separate housing - what wiring schematic do you suggest in that case to minimize problems?

Maybe on upper pic isn't shown very clear, but there is in fact enough space for pretty large pcb's there - here are old boards that are still placed inside:

PCB_inside.jpg

Top of the box:
cast_al_box_top.jpg

Btw. all boxes on pics are from old cell phone station rack - I had part time job at local telecom this summer and they were throwing away massive amounts of different receivers, RF amps, PSU's - I kindly asked if I can take something home for my project and they kindly gave hundred kilo's of nice boxes and heatsinks :cool:

Hi bubba,

I cannot see that you would not have the room for even a 300VA (local are 105D x 55H mm) transformer. If you use multiple smaller PS caps (like my PS 12 x 4,700uF is only 55D x 100W x 40H mm).

Just replace the faceplate and all the c*** attached to it. A 40W Class A should only need a 150W traffo. Remember also that there are only really diode spikes to concern with on Class A so it's very forgiving of close encounters. Probably half the reason for the smoother perceived sound.

Cheers,
Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.