Marantz PM66 KI tweeks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Brent:

I converted the phono inputs in my PM66KI to another set of line-level ones (I don't have a turntable). Problem is, because the phono setting on the source selector switch was never used, the contacts on the attached PCB switch are dirty. When I use this position I have to twiddle the knob a bit to get the left channel to come in.

So, can I:
a) get a direct replacement for this switch (i.e., is it a standard alps part or something)? I didn't pay much attention to it when I had the amp apart.
b) can it be opened and cleaned?
c) is there something I can squirt into it that will do the job without endangering the other contacts?

Cheers!

Sad news indeed, Brent. I've been following this thread for about 4 years now, and was recently inspired to gradually start following your mods list. I got the Black Gate cap swaps done so far, and I expect I'll probably continue, although the transformer is hard to get without breaking an amp and those Silmics of yours seem pretty unique (you recently recommended Mundorf to me as alternatives). I hope it goes to a good home and you decide to keep the pics and docs up on your site.

Hi Bwent

newbie here, read the posting again and again, bought what was a faulty KI66 to find tit sounds great, got it off ebay and watch yours go too, indeed sad, but not for the buyer.

So many questions, TX, cap values, heatsinks from, what first, what next, when, eh?

so will you be running a day course ' getting to know my KI' with tea and biscuits

Super posts

Tc

hi kinda new here, been following the 66Ki tweeks and all and thought i would keep a brief here on my upgrades to the 66KI, of course following closely to Rowemeister who has been great help so far.

Bought a 66KI from ebay - said not working but was working fine when i fiddled with the speaker outputs. the sound is good with a good balance of bass and treble with clarity.

so the amp will be used for a full system - CD17, tuner, vinyl and a CC45 multiCD.

so the very first thing i did was look inside, quite sparsh for a large box.

Then without any cost i removed the wire from the RCA board (PV01)to the board with the record and direct control (PS01), I then wired from the Master volume to the RCA board with the 4 core cable that was from the MV to the PS01, using R,Rgnd, L Lgnd, this is simple to do. By missing out the PS01 board the sound has a cleaner route and does sound better, clarity improved. This cable will be changed for better cable here and from MV to power board, using 20AWG jupiter solid copper.

Next smoother caps and bridge rectifier to change, i have some 63000uf/63v BHC caps coming, but i am working out how to install the new diodes, inductors and bleeder resistor within the current board.

Happy soldering.

Tc

this is like making a cake, ingredients! each component could make it sweet, heavy, fall apart - explode?

I have found the sound already very good and i will be installing and testing as i go along keeping notes on each upgrade, indeed, i may not be able/need to do it all.

polite sound would not be a problem as the amp is for Girlfriend in a solid brick cottage and house is solid to the point of harsh.

Tc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.