Marantz PM66 KI tweeks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am new to this brilliant forum (can't believe I never found it before).

I have for the past 6 months been heavily modding my CD63 KI and the results have been fantastic.

So I have turned my interests to the KI amp.

So far I have changed C705/706/751/752 for equivalent Black Gates

C717/718/719 for uprated Black Gates.

C709/710/753/754/755/756 to equivalent silver mica types

The results have been very good indeed, bringing new life to the amp.

I was wondering if anyone here has done similar mods and has any more pointer for me.

cheers

Hi rowemeister, and welcome to the forum.

rowemeister said:
I have for the past 6 months been heavily modding my CD63 KI and the results have been fantastic.

I'd love to know all about your mods to this fine (when modded to kingdom come) CD player, pehaps in another thread.

I'm afraid I don't know much about modding amps, but make sure your mains and internal power supply is good. This is perhaps the single most important factor for sound quality in an amp. If you prefer a smoother sound run your amp off a large isolation transformer. I personally love the way amps sound on wooden feet - try Russ Andrews' Oak Cone feet [if you haven't already].

As for internal considerations, I'd rather leave that to those that know better!!

I have done quite a few mods to this amp now so I thought I should post a pic.
The most noticable mod is the rather small res caps. lol

The bass is very good from these caps and no loss of treble etc.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is a pic of Schottky bridge, Black Gate caps and silver mica etc

Attachments

• pm66ki bg caps and bridge.jpg
    pm66ki bg caps and bridge.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,583
pm 66 ki

Hi

I am very new to this forum and am impressed by the amount of knowledge contained herein. I have a pm 66 KI amp. The power turns on the remote operates mute & volume, the inside looks sweet but there is no output to either the speakers or through the headphone socket. Has anyone got any ideas.........

:bawling:

Cheers!!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have some experience with basic repairs on computers etc but consider quality hi-fi as something to respect first. I have a decent meter & soldering iron.

I am in no way in the same league as other posters on this thread but am a good learner.

There is no audible click after a few seconds.

Mark

markusb said:
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have some experience with basic repairs on computers etc but consider quality hi-fi as something to respect first. I have a decent meter & soldering iron.

I am in no way in the same league as other posters on this thread but am a good learner.

There is no audible click after a few seconds.

Mark

Hi

Either the output as blown or a 47ohm resistor in the psu has gone open circuit.
The reference for this resistor(s) is R801 or R803. These go with age as they run warm.

Brent

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Brent,
A blown output will generally cause excessive current flow and blow the fuse(s).

We do know the output protection is working, the most probable fault being a DC offset.

Mark,
What are the DC voltages at the audio outputs before the relay? Measure from the emitter resistors to ground (chassis).

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Brent,
Then it must have opened the emitter resistor as well. Otherwise the error amp will force the other polarity on to equalize the output voltage. Of course it's now fighting a short. If the fuses don't go, the other polarity output transistors will normally short, followed by the thermal fuse in the transformer. ;)

-Chris

Hi Every one,

Have been busy on the resistor - found the 47 ohm resistor - has gone open as suggested. Bought new 47 ohm resistor and replaced. Thurned amp on and voila....... many many thanks I cant tell you how greatful I am. I love this amp.

I will keep track of your mods, thought to be honest they are beyond my current abilities.

All the very best!!

Mark

:) :D

PM66SE

Hey Guys,

Me is new here too, been surfing for a while now and the only thing constructive on Marantz PM66 is here.

So I got a Marantz PM66SE, which has a big offset in the right channel and a lot of cracking when turning up the volume. Is someone familiar with this problem and the fixing part?

The other channel sounds better but I have to turn up the volume a lot to get some action.

Stupid me lent it to a nephew (young) which had a big party..... So overheating should probably be the cause.

All help would be great!!!!

Thx & Cheers,
Reinoud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.