Pass version of Citation 12 (Mosfet)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
I'm interested in building this amp(maybe). I've been looking at alternate output devices and I am considering the Hitchi 2SK2800. Does anyone have an opinion of my choice? The schematic is here:

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/citation.pdf

and the data sheet for the original device is here:

http://terre.lisa.univ-paris12.fr/Electronik/DataSheets/IRF130.pdf

and last but not least the PDF for the Hitachi mosfets is here:

http://www.hitachisemiconductor.com...s/transist/trnsis/transis/e208513_2sk2800.pdf

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

G

I have a modified version of the Pass Citation 12 that I've
been using for years. I had a non-functional H-K Citation
12 sitting around (contrary to what Nelson claims, there
were a number that died; from what I can tell the voltage
rating on the input pair was marginal and many died after
a while), and needed an amp, so I did the mods. Sometime
after the original Pass article in Audio Amateur, there was
a circuit published in the letters section with complementary
P and N channel output devices. I built a modified version
of this circuit using current regulator diodes as the current
sources for both the input differential pair and the VAS
stage. I believe the power FETs I used were IRF140 and
IRF9140.

The amp has served me well for years, and while I contemplate
many "superior" designs I'd like to build, this one continues
to serve me well -- very good payback for the couple afternoons
of (re)construction.

At my suggestion, a friend whose ears I trust used the
Pass design as the basis for a rebuild for an old Crown D-60.
He loves it.

I'd say that the Hitachi FETs you are looking at are way to
weenie for the intended application. The IR units are
readily available from Digi-Key. These days you'll have to
get the plastic power package which should readily adapt
to the H-K heat sinks. IRFP140/IRFP9140 are less than
$3 each.

OK, let's look at the important specs first.

This device is rated at 60V Vdss absolute max. Not
exactly what you want to use on an amp that has
supplies that run about +/-42V.

Then, it's max dissipation at case temperature of 25C is
50 W. A bit wimpy for a 60W / 8 Ohm power amp.

Then there is no thermal resistance from die to case
specified in the data sheet, so who knows how hot it
will get even before you get to 50W dissipation.

If you think you can get away with them fine, but expect
molten silicon and who knows what else.

stokessd said:
Brian,

I think I know the guy who built the crown D-60 version. And he does have good ears. Excessive facial hair too. :D

I'm going to be building the complimentary version soon because I've also got a sick Citation 12.

Sheldon

Helo Mr. Sheldon, :)

Nice to see You here.
I would like to forward my appreciation regarding your ESL-website. I rebulit a pair of ESL-57 for a friend using tips from Your site. :)

Best regards\Morello :cool:

HI, Sheldon!!

Long time, no see. Yes, our friend who can "kludge" anything.

We'll have to talk about your amp plans sometime. I have
a few variations to the PassCT12 for what they're worse.
Also have a few suggested parts changes, if I could remember
where I put the notes.

Nelson-

Thanks for the greeting. I love what you have done for audio. You're products are outstanding (I have an aleph 3 now), and your commitment to DIY and your customers is great. Your new amps look fantastic. (how's that for tushie kissing? :D )

I'm starting to get more into solid state designs. I've been building my own electrostatic speakers (hybrids actually) and I'm slowly heading to complete custom driving electronics. I've already built a preliminary active crossover for the speakers, and the next logical step is custom dedicated amps for bass drivers and panels.

One of your employees bought a couple headphone amp circuit boards from me earlier this year. Better check your inventory of small power parts. :)

Sheldon

stokessd said:
Morello-

thanks for the kind words regarding my website. I'm glad the information was useful. the original Quads are a remarkably enjoyable and capable speaker. When you think that the design is almost 50 years old, it's astounding.

Sheldon

Dear Mr. Sheldon,

I agree in that if one consider it's a 50 years old design, it is excellent. I belive it second to none of speakers from that era. I don't like the lack of deep bass, the poor dispersion in the topoctave and limited sound pressure level. If one listens from the "sweet spot" the treble is very good. However, I didn't miss them very much when they where picked up by the owner:cool:

Best regards\Morello:) :) :) :)

Morello said:

I agree in that if one consider it's a 50 years old design, it is excellent. I belive it second to none of speakers from that era. I don't like the lack of deep bass, the poor dispersion in the topoctave and limited sound pressure level. If one listens from the "sweet spot" the treble is very good. However, I didn't miss them very much when they where picked up by the owner:cool:

Careful saying things like that. The Quad ESL fanatics will come in the night with pitchforks and torches and drag you out of your house for a beating...

I posted on the planar speaker asylum that I was liking my DIY ESL's a lot more than my Quad ESL's (of which I'm quite familiar), and I got a lot of attitude and disbelief that I could somehow better the immortal Quad ESL.

Sheldon

Mr Sheldon,

I understand what you mean, but one can hardly state that the ESL-57 have extended bass or that the dispersion is great;)

Anyhow, it's a great speaker if one consider that it's 50 years old.
Also, it is a true benchmark in the history of high-end speakers.

\Morello:cool:

BTW, may a listen to your DIY-ESL some day?:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.