Gain adjust on an Adcom 545.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just modded an old 545. I made it dual mono with extensive bypassing on the power caps. I also heavily "reduced" feedback and while I ensured equal voltage gain wrt the stock NFB, I feel there is a little more hiss than before at the output.

Using 111db Horns so need to tame the hiss.

I do not want to increase the FB back up because I LOVE the sound like this. It is much more detailed and punchy. The voicing is a tad thicker in the mids, which I like. But imaging and detils, much better.

Any ideas? Chris? Dennis?....Nelson?

Thanks,

K-amps

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Arif,
Less feedback = more gain. Now you need to try and reduce circuit induced noise. It won't be easy but may be possible. The circuit will have to be modified I feel.

You might want to try replacing the diff pair with FETs and clamping the drain voltage, cascode style. Just a suggestion. I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.