Leach Amp for Sub use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a half made Leach Amplifier. I was wondering if I could use this in an Active Sub amp?

I don't care for overkill because I dont see myself building another leach amplifier soon and can thus use this for a mono amp...

Would there be a problem with 4ohm use.. . I want to start with a small car subwoofer...

The amp will probably be used for PC sound system.

Wynand,

the Leach amplifier can handle 4 ohms on a full range loudspeaker.
A big advantage of an active system is the much lower overall requirements on the amplifier.
With the transformer you mentioned for the Leach amplifier it should have an easy task as a sub amplifier.
You need ample heatsinks for the output devices and take care not to drive the amplifier into clipping.
With a modified VI limiter the amplifier can even handle much lower impedances when used as a sub amplifier.

Hi Wynand,

You need an amplifier that can handle sustained clipping as a sub amp - unless you like your bass soft! It is really very easy to overdrive sub amps and they need to be a design that can handle such abuse, as clipping is not nearly as apparent.

Also one with a more continuous duty power supply that would be needed for wide range use.

Good reference material -

"Subwoofer Performance for Accurate reproduction of Music' by Louis D. Fielder and Eric M Benjamin JAES V36 No6. june 1988.

"Audio Power Amplifiers for loudspeaker loads" Eric Benjamin JAES V42 No.9 1994.

Cheers,
Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.