Naim Nait-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am helping my friend to modify Naim Nait-2 int. amp.
I may post photos after the job is finished.
Here is the circuit I would like to share.

Attachments

• phono stage.jpg
    phono stage.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 4,144
Hi, lohk

(Maybe the PSU caps have to be replaced because of age.)
Yes. what we call the modification is mainly replacing the old cap to some Audio Grade new cap. We maintain the old value too.
Add some caps at the legs of the power transistors which are connected to the filter caps. The circuit tracks of that portion are quite long and thin.

from the circuit the product design seems lower than average. Don't know how it become so famous.
A famous magzine editor used to say: DIY HiFi is a big lier, when XXX put a market a class B everybody say good, when you spent $xxx to buy a speaker wire, you get to lie to yourself it is better.

Hi lastguy, you may be right, more right. I am a DIYer and an EE for many years. At the beginning, I cannot believe and explain that such lower than calculation amp can sound good. But if you have listened to it. You will be amazed by it musical performance. (but with limitation). When you use it to play Pop or rock music, it is a total different story. It can't perform those material. Rock music sound like classical music (I consider). Nait capabilities are on those chamber, single instrument, vocal, light jazz and vocal music etc... I assume, it accurate and clean musical performance is due to its simple design (only 3 or 4 stages), low amount of negative feedback (open-loop gain is not high) and low power consumption (just 20mA idle current at the O/P transistor !).
If you are enjoying the music contents within Nait-2 list, you'll like it and keep using it for long years. It can't work for you for those louder American Country music (e.g. Thank God I am a Country Boy) nor Pop music (e.g. Bad, the Sad Cafe ) nor Big Symphony (e.g. 1812, Beethoven No. 5). My friend use it for years but I like the kind of music not on the Nait-2 list so I built a Class A 100W to listen to virtually all music or signal or noise.

Amplifierguru .... haha!
:bigeyes:

You have never heard that amp, I suppose.
Back to start, my friend, and change your name, its heavily misleading.

btw: With the right loudspeakers the NAIT2 (and to some extent also the NAIT!1) plays wonderful rock music. As far as anyone could go with 2 x 15W! It rocks!
And even the NAIM topmodels still use elcaps (even tantals!!!) in the signal path - and sound great. What a scandal...

Well, you have to open your ears to listen - you want hear anything by looking at the schematics.
The old Creek 4040 should be sounding dreadful (having a class B output stage) but interestingly it did not. There is more within construction than the basic schematics alone (maybe that is why so many Naim clones sound worse than the originals).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.