NAD 3240PE Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have one of these amps that has been used little in the 13 years I have owned it. Recently I have lost about 1/2 the voume to the right speaker and know it is an amp problem. I think I will just replace the amp rather than have it repaired. Because this amp has problems even though it was rarely used, I am looking to find some other amp that I can replace it with. What do the experts say is a good amp to replace this one with?

Thanks in advance!!

If you want to fix this amp:

I'm assuming that the output is low but not distorted or at least pretty clean sounding. The common cause of this is the cap (usually an electrolytic) that is in the feedback circuitry. This cap is in series with a resistor from the base of one of the input diff transistors to ground, it is there to reduce the gain at DC, and if it goes open or partially open the gain of the amp is reduced - and you get your problem. If you decide to go for a repair replace both channels, the second maybe on its way out too.

You don't specifically say what the other problems are, but a good guess would dirty controls and switchs, particularly if the unit is not used very much, gives rise to noise (usually scratchy) especially when the contorols are used and channels cutting out. So clean the controls and switchs with a good contact cleaner (I use Cramolin R5 - have not bought any in a long time probably still available) and it will be as good as new.

As to what to buy - I have not been keeping up with that stuff

Bill

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rdgallo,
I don't have much respect for most new mid fi receivers these days. Your's wasn't expensive when new, but it's better than the new stuff. Now the unit is 13 years old, you have to expect some service over that time period. Running or not, contacts will oxidize.

I believe that one uses breakers for speaker protection. Small rectangular black boxes mounted on the PC board. Give them a rap while the unit is on, with an insulated object like a dry toothbrush. Many times these can go bad. Have them removed if this is the case and replace them with rear panel mounted fuses at the same rating.

Of course, B Cullingford is correct too. It could be a switch or control. Follow his advice to the letter if that's the case. If you are not familiar with electronics, have someone who is (not just a friend) do it for you.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.