Hafler parts - Sound Valves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for some parts for my Hafler XL-280s. There used to be an eBay dealer called Sound Valves that has bought the remnants of the Hafler factory, but I can't seem to find them any more.

Anyone know what happened to the company, or the stock, or where I might get parts now?
:confused:

DMF,

I have some extra Hafler parts. Which ones do you seek?

How about a transformer? Or heat sensing switches? Or heat sinks? Or MOSFETs graded by Hafler numbers 1-7? Or a chassis?

If you are seeking jfets used in the input diff circuit, contact Erno Borbely in Germany. They are not cheap, unfortunately.

I buy power switches at a local parts supplier for around $4@. The switch is a standard shape, just get the one with the proper wattage rating and that includes the pilot light. No big deal.

The PS caps will be a little difficult. The SoundValues parts are old, original stock items. If you want new ones you will have to sort through parts catalogs or find a good supplier. Capacitor technology has changed things since the late 80s when the XL-280 was born so you might find something suitable in a smaller form factor.

As for power cord, I just buy one with the length desired and with the wire gauge desired and cut off the end plug. It is easy to find a cheap extension cord that does the trick.

Just a word of warning, I have had some very unpleasant experiences with Sound Valves recently. I found him to be extremely rude and uncooperative regarding arranging to purchase some parts, so much so that I completely abandoned the transactions. If you just buy something he has on auction you would probably be fine, as long as there were no problems with the transaction. If you want something special or not currently on auction, then be careful!

Take care,
Doug

Dick,

I have power cords. ;)

The caps I was trying to stay with the same form factor so I wouldn't have to fool with the mounting hardware. But that may be a vain hope. Do caps degrade on the shelf like they do in use?

I replaced one power switch with a stock lighted rocker, but the light won't go off when the switch is off. I assume that it's wired between different poles than the original, but I can find no specs on the internals of these things. Plus it doesn't match the other one cosmetically. So I figured I'd go back to the source.

Sound Valves is just a sideline for the Petersons. They no longer see it as a full time venture so it is difficult to get their attention on a small request. I believe they still maintain an eBay store through which you might find the switch needed. Any of the DH-200/220/XL-280/DH-500 switches will work for you.

The last time I looked their eBay store also listed replacement caps for the XL-280. NOS, not cheap, but they will fit.

Also, contact CDSHERMAN. He posts here now and then and has been active in buying, fixing and selling parts for older Hafler amps. Go here to get in touch with him:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=584599#post584599

As for your switch always showing a pilot light, it is probably because something is mis wired. Some switches hook up 132, others 123. check the wiring diagram of the DH-series or XL-280 amp. You can find these wiring diagrams at:

www.hafler.com >tech section archives.

It would be good if you had a variac to use in verifying proper switch wiring. Otherwise, you need to so some serious sleuthing with your VOM to ensure proper hookup.

Hope this helps.

I can't say from experience whether the switch in the 280 was the same as the 200, but Mouser part# 691-LTA201TRB/125N is a direct replacement for the DH-200 power switch. They're about $3-4.00 or so. No need to pay the going rate on ebay. They prey on people who don't know the right part numbers to order.
Either Mouser or Digikey--I forget which--has a computer grade electrolytic can that is perfect for the Hafler DH-200. If the 280 used the same cap (10,000uF 75V, about 4" tall and, what, 1 1/2" dia...something like that) then again you can sidestep the ebay nonsense and get a nice new part.
You might also try www.apexjr.com. Steve may have a cap not listed on his website that would do the job. E-mail him. His prices are very reasonable.
Having recently brought three or four DH-200s back to life, I'm still able to recall a little of the info. Give me another six months and it will have faded away.

Grey

Sound Valves is just a sideline for the Petersons. They no longer see it as a full time venture so it is difficult to get their attention on a small request.

Well, I don't see that as a valid reason for the way that they act. They should either happily respond to requests or get out of the business entirely. Just because my web store is only a sideline and not anywhere near full time doesn't mean that I treat people like cr@p when they send requests; I respond politely and helpfully to all, even when I am only providing information with no chance of a sale. It's just good internet manners. Soundvalves' attitude is similar to someone taking an extra part-time job at a McDonalds only to give poor service to customers as it's "just a sideline." I don't think that you would last very long as an employee there.

Ignoring or treating people badly who are looking for help is just plain inexcusable, especially when a 30 second email stating that you cannot supply an item would suffice. People who are that selfish and ignorant should get off of the net instead of spreading angst to people in need.

Take care,
Doug

In defense of Sound Valves I have had excellent service from them on many purchases over the last 15 years. However, last summer 2 months went by with no response after I sent money for an item, so I threatened an eBay/PayPal complaint process. Rather quickly I got an email from Joy with a profuse apology with comments about a death of one of her parents, etc., etc.

I agree with you but everyone does not have your high standards. However, I would be willing to bet that if you purchased an item through their eBay store or from one of their eBay auctions you would get good service. I assume they see too little profit in responding to a request about the purchase of one switch which easily can be purchased from other sources, such as the one noted in a previous message or, as I do, from a local parts store. One switch is not a big deal to them plus they may not even have one in stock. Theirs is a nickel and dime business selling closeout quantities and probably don't expect a lot of repeat business so customer relations may suffer.

Relax and go to Mouser, Digi-Key or CDSherman.

Everything I purchased from them came in due time and was packaged well. They were a little short about replying to questions but if they had the part they were always prompt. My guess is that they are nearly out of parts now and are just losing interest. Just a guess though.

Blessings, Terry

John Peterson is a big boy and doesn't need someone like me to stick up for him. That said, let me offer another perspective. I consider it a priviledge to say John Peterson is my friend. I worked for John & Joy from the early 80's through the mid 90's as their chief tech. When it comes to right and wrong, there isn't better people on this earth. If you ever needed a friend you could count on, that's who you would turn to.

If John ever had a fault it was letting people take advantage of his good will and kindness. I watched them work 80 hour weeks month after month to provide people with the parts and gear they needed, with little compensation for themselves. Nobody else would have stuck through with it like they did.

The problem is most people don't understand the difference between a hobby and a business. People who have a hobby are content to spend hours talking about their passion. It's what you do in your spare time. It's not your bread and butter. Sound Valves is a business. As a business they don't have the luxury of talking to you all day long. They have to process your order ASAP and move on to the next. Yes, John can be short with people at times. If you want something he's selling, keep it a business transaction and you'll be very happy. Don't think for one minute that John is you personal tech support site. If it weren't for John, all that Hafler/Dyanco stuff that we've been buying the last 25 years would have been recycled into beer cans a long time ago. Count your blessings that there are still people around like John who will sell parts for 25 year old gear.

One last note. Give them a little slack right now. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to go into details here, but John and Joy have both had a rough year. They won't tell you because they're not complainers. They've been very good to a lot of people for a long time. Back off a little and give them a break.

I'd add that I bought an off-ebay batch of the Hitachi 176/56 series fets (16 of each) off them..right in the middle of that time period..if memory serves right. (6 months ago)

The resposne was a little slow, but they came through none the less. Understanable reasons, it seems. Hope things go well over there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.