Hafler parts - Sound Valves? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2005, 07:30 PM   #1
DMF is offline DMF  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hafler parts - Sound Valves?

I'm looking for some parts for my Hafler XL-280s. There used to be an eBay dealer called Sound Valves that has bought the remnants of the Hafler factory, but I can't seem to find them any more.

Anyone know what happened to the company, or the stock, or where I might get parts now?
Old 30th November 2005, 08:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, just so I wouldn't look like a fool, I went back and searched eBay for Hafler parts, and there was Sound Valves selling the old remaindered stock.

So - Never Mind!
Old 30th November 2005, 08:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
Well, just so I wouldn't look like a fool, I went back and searched eBay for Hafler parts, and there was Sound Valves selling the old remaindered stock.

So - Never Mind!

Does he have what you're looking for?

Blessings, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, ESP P101, Symasym, KSA 50 X 2 Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, DX Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee X2, VSSA PMI, VSSA jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Slewmonster with; CFA-XH IPS, Wolverine IPS, Spooky IPS
Old 30th November 2005, 11:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

DMF,

I have some extra Hafler parts. Which ones do you seek?

How about a transformer? Or heat sensing switches? Or heat sinks? Or MOSFETs graded by Hafler numbers 1-7? Or a chassis?

If you are seeking jfets used in the input diff circuit, contact Erno Borbely in Germany. They are not cheap, unfortunately.
Old 1st December 2005, 06:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I need power switches and power caps for XL-280s. And I gotta replace those cords (no I don't believe in wire voodoo, but they're getting kinda old).
Old 1st December 2005, 01:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I buy power switches at a local parts supplier for around $4@. The switch is a standard shape, just get the one with the proper wattage rating and that includes the pilot light. No big deal.

The PS caps will be a little difficult. The SoundValues parts are old, original stock items. If you want new ones you will have to sort through parts catalogs or find a good supplier. Capacitor technology has changed things since the late 80s when the XL-280 was born so you might find something suitable in a smaller form factor.

As for power cord, I just buy one with the length desired and with the wire gauge desired and cut off the end plug. It is easy to find a cheap extension cord that does the trick.
Old 1st December 2005, 04:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just a word of warning, I have had some very unpleasant experiences with Sound Valves recently. I found him to be extremely rude and uncooperative regarding arranging to purchase some parts, so much so that I completely abandoned the transactions. If you just buy something he has on auction you would probably be fine, as long as there were no problems with the transaction. If you want something special or not currently on auction, then be careful!

Take care,
Doug
Old 1st December 2005, 04:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Dick,

I have power cords.

The caps I was trying to stay with the same form factor so I wouldn't have to fool with the mounting hardware. But that may be a vain hope. Do caps degrade on the shelf like they do in use?

I replaced one power switch with a stock lighted rocker, but the light won't go off when the switch is off. I assume that it's wired between different poles than the original, but I can find no specs on the internals of these things. Plus it doesn't match the other one cosmetically. So I figured I'd go back to the source.
Old 1st December 2005, 04:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by still4given

Does he have what you're looking for?
Don't know. I haven't heard back yet.
Old 7th December 2005, 06:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Peasant
Just a word of warning, I have had some very unpleasant experiences with Sound Valves recently.
Yeah, I'm finding that out. I've sent two emails and no reply. I won't hold my breath waiting.

Hide this!Advertise here!