Simplest possible - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2002, 09:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Simplest possible

anybody have a schematic over the simplest-ever-fairly-good sounding amplifier with discrete BJT:s, preferrably NPN-types??
in the range of 5-30 W will do.
Old 16th October 2002, 09:31 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

If you are after low power amp with fair audio quality, why don't you check some intergrated amp? Cheap, few parts, protected, Ok performance, small etc.

National, Apex (not so cheap), Thomson, Texas, has chips.
Old 16th October 2002, 09:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Post explanation;

well.. a friend of mine, a non-technical one, is eager to build his own amplifier, so he wanted me to help him to do so, therefore i want this simple amplifierschematic that i can explain to him in not-too-technical terms, an IC-amp would be too much for him... 8-)
Old 16th October 2002, 11:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Go with a gainclone

They don't get much simpler (or cheaper) than IC amps. A LM1875T Gainclone suits even my own budget which takes planet10's frugalphilia to new ... uhm ... lows (concerning price)?

Slap together the IC, some components (9 last time i checked), a heatsink (do a quick google search on gainclone) and a powersuppply (which costs the most anyways) for an amp that could be used for computer speakers and more (will scale from a miserly couple of watts to a little over 20W for the LM1875, but more powerful ICs are available). You could even buy a cheap kit using these ICs.

I am sure this link has been given by many, but it is a good guide to amplifier basics http://sound.westhost.com/amp-basics.htm. He has a couple of rudimentary schematics though I wouldn't be able to recommend parts.

Martin
Old 17th October 2002, 02:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Simplest possible

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Triatic
... with discrete BJT:s, preferrably NPN-types??
in the range of 5-30 W will do.
Try following link:
ESP Project: http://www.sound.westhost.com/project36.htm
JLH Project: http://www.gmweb.btinternet.co.uk/

Regards:
ragil.hastomo
Old 17th October 2002, 05:38 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Go with a gainclone

Quote:
Originally posted by mgoedeke
They don't get much simpler (or cheaper) than IC amps. A LM1875T Gainclone suits even my own budget which takes planet10's frugalphilia to new ... uhm ... lows (concerning price)?
I don't know... i continue to work on making the cost of my hifi less & less. Turntable is going next (anyone need a Linn?)[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Slap together the IC, some components (9 last time i checked), a heatsink (do a quick google search on gainclone) and a powersuppply
Click the image to open in full size.

You won't get much simpler. Amp Chip DIY forum for gain klone info. And the low budget kit version. $12 CAD (<8 USD!)* per channel. Then the power supply. If you find it necessary the PS can be repurposed later. * a couple sample chips from Nat Semi and a little rummaging in the parts bins and you could get away with even less (ignoring your time)

dave
Old 17th October 2002, 09:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

A completed one for your perusal using a lm3875, (note the heatsink is only for testing, it would be too small for a working amp!)

If I can build one, anyone can!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg invertedgain1.jpg (41.3 KB, 721 views)
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 17th October 2002, 10:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Mr Triatic,
I'd say the simplest all-npn discrete amp would be a single-ended output class A. Will get rather hot - is this a limitation? But it will easily give you power within the range you stated and will sound sweet as a nut. 5 transistors in the signal path and 3 current sources. I don't have a schematic capture program or a scanner or I'd post it. But if you want it I'll try to sort something out.
Another way is to use an output transformer (like in a valve design). Getting hold of a suitable transformer may be tricky.

Hide this!Advertise here!