very large/huge heatsink suppliers in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Roll Ur Own?

You might want to consider "rolling ur own."

I've done it sucessfully with a class A SE amp that blows off about 125 watts of nothing but heat.

It's been done by a number of commercial manufacturers including Phase Linear and Altec in the past.

http://www.bearlabs.com/NEXT/SEMosfet-B&W.JPG
this shows a picture of one implementation.

The basic idea is to have fins made out of aluminium by a sheet metal fabricator (CNC preferred for the holes) to your spec, size and thickness which are then affixed to a thick aluminum back plate (0.250" to 0.4375" or more, if needed) that has matching holes precisely drilled.

The overall dimensions can be determined by the standard heatsink calculations found in most heatsink mfrs catalogs or websites.

Use heatsink compound between the fins and the back plate.

You can have the parts anodized black or another color for best "look".

I made mine double sided, and oversized for the thermal load.

The biggest advantages to this scheme are:
- other than buying "surplus", way less expensive than an equivalent extruded heatsink purchase in less than huge quantities.
- completely customizable size and shape
- much "taller" fins than can be extruded
- can be double sided if needed
- can be cut and fit to the next project as required
- you don't need a milling machine to cut the fins away if need be

Disadvantages:
- you need to buy the parts from a fabricator (needs to fit)
- slightly less thermal transfer to the fins than an extruded unit
- you have to assemble it with screws and nuts
- there may be some finishing operations needed if cosmetics are important (not a big deal, imho)
- doesn't come pre-anodized, but most metal shops can help you find anodizers, or use one now, in case you can't figure that out on ur own.

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.