Home Theater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Denon makes a decent surround product. They are generally well made.

However, two channel and surround are completely different animals. I now have both types in the house, including a wife that does not give me grief over multiple systems. Now she wants a bigger surround system.

-Chris

for the price of a denon 3806, you can go with the rotel receiver, which sounds a lot better for music. its a good compromise when getting a piece that does both.

adding amps to the denon does help its performance dramatically. the denon is nice, but it has no "balls" when it comes to power. its rated power is high, but it just doesnt have the warmth and fullness of a good 2-ch amp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's basically why I said they are two different systems.

I can't agree on the Rotel though either. There are better units out there and there's nothing wrong with the Denon. I think you run into trouble trying to make one system do both jobs well.

-Chris

yeah, its obviously opinion, but ive dont head to heads with several of the common brands (denon, yamaha, b&k, denon, and others), and the rotel is easily the best value. i worked in a high end audio store up until just recently and was able to directly compare all of them.

i agree, its impossible to make one system do everything unless you plan on dropping big bucks.

XOtothelight said:
The primary reason I was looking at the Denon is the HD functionality. It has dual HDMI inputs (supports up conversion) and one out. Would the preamp be purily a musical funciton?

im not sure what you are asking here... IF you added a preamp, yes, it would be primarily for musical improvement.

and if you are asking if when you just use the preamp section on the denon, is it purely musical, well, you can make it do that by disabling the video section and bypassing a lot of the decoding.

if you clarify your question, maybe we could help a bit better.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Denon isn't bad. It will not help to add a preamp unless you want a better phono section. Either run the Denon as is, or get into separate processors, amps and higher end speakers. That's the only way to make a difference.

I still service high end gear and have had contact with most brands over many years. What I like comes home for at least a listen. Yamaha has arguably the best processors in a receiver, while Denon is build a bit better and sounds better. The difference in sound between a Rotel beside a Denon is nothing, and Denons are no slouch when it comes to output sections. Lot's to choose from, and Denon is a good choice. I will say that Denon service is a lot better in Canada than I hear it is in the States.

We can argue brands until the cows come home (and they are close where I live now!). The Denon is a good choice.

-Chris

I not looking at a discussion on rx brand names. I brought the Denon up because of the specs and HDCD capability. With that said would it be better to have a separate processor box and have my own diy amp? I don't really need radio functionality, phone, or tape. I primarily need is DVD/CD input with processing and upconversion (HD format) for the movies (dts, dolby, thx, whatever). I know this is dual hatted here, just can't afford two completely separate systems and would like to do my best with a combined system.

i would say this...

judged as just a processor or a preamp, a "seperates" processor will sound better as a preamp or a surround processor than the denon. assuming you build some decent amps (better than the denon) you will have a better system all around. that is of course my opinion, and there are brand exceptions, but in general, i would go for separates over a receiver any day.

thats actually what i do... i have a nice surround sound processor that performs well as a preamp in 2-ch and also does will in surround. then, i have separate amps, a few of which ive built.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Definitely second that opinion. Now that your needs are known, a high end processor and separate amps are the way to go.

There is a thread on an amplifier called the Symasym that is turning out very well. I'd wait a little bit for an improved PCB to be designed and try those. Of course, there are many other designs that can be found such as Nelson Pass's forum and some Krell designs. If you live in a really cold locale, then there are some high powered tube designs also.

If you wish to add a phono section later, there are designs for that too.

Enjoy, -Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.