Esp P101.................... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2005, 02:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Esp P101....................

Hello Everyone,

I am building one of Rod Elliott's P101 amps for two channel use and would like to use to separate toroidal trannies. Could someone please tell me what specs I should be looking for in each one. Rod recommends 70-0-70 and I am unsure if this is for single channel, since the PCB's are sold separately, or if this a total for two channels. If the 70-0-70 is reccommended for the two channel then would I get (2) @ 35-0-35?This is my first real project and just don't want to screw it up. Thanks for the help guys.

David
Old 29th October 2005, 02:37 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I'm sure you can get some here also but Rod has his own support forum if you didn't know that.

http://sound.westhost.com/phpBB2/
Old 29th October 2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The voltage is irrelevant to how many channels, it's simply what determines max output voltage. The current and VA rating are what differ when you have multiple channels. The ratings are on the ESP website.
Old 29th October 2005, 05:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I am waiting for access to the secure portion of the site as we speak. I was forced to order the PCB's at my work due to PC vs Mac problems and I think I should expect to see the email from Rod on monday. Hopefully all will be apparent. : )

I have been doing some studying at the zero interference web site but most of this is over my head at the moment.

From what I gather at ESP...........I will need (2) trannies that are in this range:

AC Volts DC Volts VA Power (8 ohms)
50-0-50 +/-70V 300 240

And my only problem come from the following info available from AVEL.

Load(VA) Sec Volt (V) Sec Cur (A) Reg (Typical)

330 45 + 45 3.67 6.0

I feel like I am missing some info to make a choice. Is this true? I don't see or understand the specs. Can I go larger or is this tranny too big for a single channel?

Cheers,

David
Old 29th October 2005, 05:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oppppssss...........Zero Distortion : )
Old 29th October 2005, 06:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I used a single 45-0-45 800VA tranformer for a three channel P101 and it is just fine. I'm not sure when you would ever need 200wpc, but if it is important a 50-0-50 500vA would be plenty for a stereo amp.

This transformer would be just right for a stereo P101. You could always use a dual bridge if you wanted but I'm not sure you would hear the difference.

The power supply that rod suggests uses one trans and one bridge.

Blessings, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 29th October 2005, 07:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So Terry,

It is ok to exceed the 300 VA rating just not the recommended =/- 50VAC?

From what little I know ..................I think I will be going with separate trannies and all of the tweaks mentioned on the zerodistortion web site for my power supply. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I really am in the same spot you were in last year when you built your amp. The only tools I own are a good soldering iron and multi-meter.

I am trying to get the same or better quality as some of the Krell and B&K amps I have auditioned at the high end audio stores in the area.

God Bless,

David
Old 29th October 2005, 07:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is ok to exceed the 300 VA rating just not the recommended =/- 50VAC?
Yes, that is correct. The design won't handle more than +/-70VDC according to Rod. The amps just give you more cranking power. You won't run out of steam on the loud transients. Big filters can give you some extra reserve but sooned or later it all comes down to the transformer's heft for staying power.

If you really want to have a killer PSU use two of these.

Blessings, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 29th October 2005, 08:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Will (2) of these .....................

http://cgi.ebay.com/45-45V-700VA-Tor...QQcmdZViewItem

.....................do the trick?
Old 29th October 2005, 08:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Absolutely!

Hide this!Advertise here!