Crate DFX212 - Speaker problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Crate DFX212 amp with 2 12" speakers. I have recently noticed that one speaker was not working. I swapped the wires from the working speaker (speaker A) to the nonworking one (speaker B)... and it worked. Pluging the wires from speaker B into speaker A yielded the same results - a dead speaker. I checked the connection of the wires to the motherboard (a small white plug that goes over two protruding metal prongs) and everything seemed ok.
I also checked the plugs that go to the speaker and both are tight and in good shape.
The only sign of something happening is when I have one of the two nonworking wires attached to the speaker and I touch the other to the speaker: it makes a very subtle crackle, but then remains silent.
Any thoughts? I believe I have exhausted my know-how on this one!
Thanks - Randy

Randy, your description is a bit hard to follow (or it could just be me!). Let's follow your nomenclature and have Speaker A and Speaker B. Then lets have a wire pair we call "1" and another wire pair we call "2".

Lets have the original configuration as "1-A" and "2-B". The "2-B" pair does not work. Now you start swapping things around:

1-B - work or not?
2-A - work or not?

If 1-B works and 2-A does not, its obviously the wire pair "2".

If "2-B" and "1-B" both don't work, then its your "B" speaker that's needing replacement / repair.

Cheers!

I haven't actually seen this particular model, but from your description of the wiring, I would suspect it uses two power amplifiers to run stereo effects from the DFX. Probably one power amp has died. I would also suspect that they probably use chip power amps, and one has probably failed, possibly due to excessive heat (Crate don't use very big heatsinks - usually just a bent aluminium bracket to the chassis).

Unless you know what you are doing, better to get it to a service tech.

Cheers
Graeme

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.