StandBy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about making a circuit for my amp (stk hybrid) that when idle runs the 115V through both primarys in series so my output is 12V witch keeps the chips idle but not off and when you switch it on it runs it through one primary indepenintly so it goes back to 25V rails and the amps are at full power,my goal with this is you can leave the amp "on" so to speak and at 12V idle it'll keep the chips lightly warm for thermal stability and when you switch it to on since the caps already have 12 in them charging to 25 would not produce any thump or current rush.
Anybody see any downsides to this?

How often will it be idle and for what period of time? Provided the final design is good, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you're shutting it off for a little while, half hour, 15 minutes, even longer, in some cases, but if it'll be off overnight, during the day while you're at work, or something like that, I can't think of any way it would really serve much of a purpose, plus it will waste power ($$$) and add wear to components (more $$$).

Ummm...I dun quite inderstand what u ased but it's my own idea that i want to integrate into my amp design that i'm currently working on.
About that point,I can see more ware on components But i think that since the foils and dielectircs on caps expand and contract every time you charge them if you keep them charged it would mean less charge and discharge witch caps have a limit on that too. (so many cycles in a life) But i do value the comments.
The only problem i could see is as i've said possibly something with the lower voltage playing with (damaging?) the chips when it's on standby since it'll be alot lower than they were made to run on in the first place.
I am planning on making a website with the information on this idea,prototypes,PCB layouts,Possable components and such for anybody who wants more info and might possibly inplement it. Nelson pass is a pretty famous guy around here mabey i could come up with my own ideas and such and be like him ;) Who knows.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.