Harmon/kardon amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey, i dont have a clue about diy amplifiers.

but i have a harmon/kardon amp, that i payed 500 bucks for, and it has a 42 amp PS in it.. and it only puts out 80 watts into 8 ohms

just wondering,., any modding potential there, that could significantly increase power or dynamics.

i calculated 42 amps at 120 volts to be about 5000 watts.
what the hell is the power supply 42 amps for if it only puts out 80 watts, that blows my mind.. anyways,.., l'd love to hear some input.

thanks
jaden

How do you know that the PS is 42A? Is is written somewhere on the amp itself? As far as I know, a real 42A PS (assuming linear) with a decent voltage level for a decent amp will be too heavy, even to lift!

PS: Which part of New Brunswick are you from? I spent 4 yrs in UNB Fredericton (1987 to 1990)....... Gorgeous place....Miss it. Too expensive (airfares) for me to return for a revisit.

42 amps does not mean a 42-amp PS. It means (well, HK promises) that amp's output stage is able to put out 42 amps in short peaks. How short and is 42 peak-to-peak or absolute height of the peak, is a mystery.

Output volatge is much less, than what comes out of Your wall, so PS amperage is much less also.

But HK amps are really good in handling low complex impedances of speakers, so 42 or less, they are relatively good.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jadenlinkletter,
Always remember, to increase power you need to up the voltage internally (new power supply), increase the ability to get rid of heat (new heatsinks and / or fans) and rebuild the amplifier section (new PCB and components). You would probably need a new case as well.

Not worth it, and you are just DIYing a new amp. So for more power, build or buy a new amplifier. I say this because it was almost the most common question I got in service over the years. And you are dealing with the public as well.

The 42 amp rating is for a peak lasting about 1 mS or so. Like discharging a capacitor. I wouldn't run this amp any lower than 4 ohms total load. At high continuous power it may blow anyway due to excessive heat build up.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.