Poweramp with 2SK1058 and 2SJ162?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a plan: It was to make the P101 from Elliott Sound Products, form scratch. I have bought the transistors but now I see there is no values in the schematics. It is no problem for me to buy the PCB's but I want to make all by myself form scratch.
You know self-made is well done.

So here is the question:
Any who have a good poweramp schematic with the 2SK1058 and the 2SJ162?

Dear Roger!

These mosfet's are excellent, I like them very much. They are little bit expensive (5 Euro - 6 USD here), but they are worth the money.
They are equivalents of the 2SK135/2SJ50 (the production of these devices is discontinued, only NOS issues avaliable, for price like gold), but in an other casing, plastic TOP-3 instead the metal TO-3.
The difference between 2SK135/2SJ50 and 2SK1058/2SJ162 is only mechanically, they are absolutely same inside.

So let's search for schematics with 2SK135/2SJ50, you will find a lot of them (for example "Crescendo" amplifiers).

Good luck, all the best,

PS.: schema of original Crescendo amp, 8ohm/75W version. If you would like to push the amp an 6 or 4ohm impedance speakers, you will need to use the newer schema version (do a search on the solid state forum with 'crescendo" word.)
http://www.audiofanatic.it/Schemi/Tipo/Stato_solido/finali/pic_finaliSS/70W_MOS_2SK135_2SJ50.jpg

It was to make the P101 from Elliott Sound Products, form scratch.
I see there is no values in the schematics.
You mean you want to etch the PCB yourself?

If you don´t mind spending a couple bucks on a book:
Randy Slone has got plenty of amplifiers in his book "high-power audio amplifier construction manual" that incorporate 2SK1058/2SJ162 devices.
He´s got another book that contains schematic for his "famous" optimos-amplifier.
Seal Electronics used to have the schematic up on their website but now it´s gone. (now guess who still got it on his HD? :D)
Then again I´d guess if you see the schematic of the optimos you´ll immediately go and buy Rods PCB´s as designing a PCB for the optimos is far from being a beginners project.

Anyway Randy´s amps are quite interesting.
You might even find some/similar here in the forums.

greets

roger-k said:
I had a plan: It was to make the P101 from Elliott Sound Products, form scratch. I have bought the transistors but now I see there is no values in the schematics. It is no problem for me to buy the PCB's but I want to make all by myself form scratch.
You know self-made is well done.

So here is the question:
Any who have a good poweramp schematic with the 2SK1058 and the 2SJ162?

Hi Roger,

I built the P101 as my first DIY project. It is still one of my favorite amps.

I don't know how Rod feels about this, but i believe that if you buy any of his PCB's he will give you access to the construction pages which have all of the BOM's for all his designs. You might want to just buy one of the inexpensive ones, just for the access.

Blessings, Terry

Per Rod, the actual physical PCB layout influences the performance of his design. I can't verify that is the case, but the boards ARE very compact and have the benefit that they mount flat against the heatsink thus taking uop very little space in the enclosure.

Why not buy a pair of boards (they are very inexpensive) then build and study how they work. Then if you want a challenge, try building the same circuit and layout the PCB using a single pair of dual-die MOSFETS for the purpose of making the amp physically smaller still.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I would 2nd the view that using the ESP boards is probably easier and helps promote Rod's products. Rod is one of those upstanding guys in this community and unlike some of his competitors, he is more of a doer than a marketer and we should encourage him by voting with our dollars (or whatever currencies you happen to use, :)).

AndrewT said:
Hi Still4given,
you have no scrupples.
ESP provide a lot of support for the DIY community and this would remove some of his potential income.
Go the whole hog and just give us the code!!!!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your support.:mad:

If I had no scrupples I might have given the code. I have bought many PCB's from Rod as well as many of the accessories he sells. I was encouraging Roger to make a purchase from Rod. I see guys ask all the time for the component values for Rod's designs. I always encourage them to buy from Rod if they want access to the BOM's. If anything I have tried to champion Rod's cause.

I resent you implication!!!!

If I had no scrupples I might have given the code. I have bought many PCB's from Rod as well as many of the accessories he sells. I was encouraging Roger to make a purchase from Rod. I see guys ask all the time for the component values for Rod's designs. I always encourage them to buy from Rod if they want access to the BOM's. If anything I have tried to champion Rod's cause.
Don't feel bad ,Still4given ,I ,too got the
3'rd degree over project 101 post.
(I would never build it or post it,"moderator city")

Even as I emailed RodE and gave him the link to the evil
101 (which I posted for instructional purposes only), I
fully understand his contributions to DIY'ers and would
never infringe on his intellectual property rights.

So, I am not mad anymore and understand that some in the
forums "trawl" around with nothing better to do but find
fault with posts and opinions contrary to the spirit of
the community.

The simplest and very high quality amp would use the lateral mosfets and one of the driver chips from National Semi, i.e. LM4702 and the LME family. Extremely compact and virtually foolproof.

A very promising way to implement both MOSFET's and BJT's
(I,m building one now) projects are here...Hybrid IC amps

OS..

If you're using the lateral MOSFETs from Renesas you don't need the VBE multiplier --you can just use a potentiometer to set the bias. (Troy Huebner at National wrote an application note on this.) http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1645.pdf

From the standpoint of "fumbly fingers", the LM4702 is a bit easier to work with -- the difference between this chip and the LME's is that the pins are less subjective to breaking off. This is the same issue I have heard with folks who use the LM3886 or LM4780 (2 LM4780's in one package). National did design a chip to be used with HexFETs, but in this case you have to attend to the thermal issues.

I've used the LM4702 to drive parallel lateral MOSFETs, but more than a pair and you need to boost the output current a bit.

Anybody got WORKING spice models for these?

The following DO NOT work:
.MODEL 2SK1058 NMOS (VTO=403.969M KP=20U L=2U W=29.7482M GAMMA=0 PHI=600M
+ LAMBDA=184.988F RD=60.8251M CBD=2.56138N IS=10F CGSO=1.13517N CGDO=1.13517N
+ TOX=0 NSUB=0 TPG=1 UO=600 RG=50 RDS=1MEG )

.MODEL 2SJ162 PMOS (VTO=842.193M KP=20U L=2U W=21.3317M GAMMA=0 PHI=600M
+ LAMBDA=20.7067M RD=837.199M CBD=2.96862N IS=10F CGSO=1.13517N CGDO=1.13517N
+ TOX=0 NSUB=0 TPG=1 UO=600 RG=50 RDS=1MEG )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.