Setting the relay time on softstart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The softstart allows 5A current until the relay clicks in.

I am running +-56VDC rails with 180,000uF capacitor bank on one amplifier and +-80VDC rails with 120,000uF capacitor bank on another amplifier. The transformers are probably rated at 625VAC.

How can I calculate how much time is necessary to fill the capacitors up?

Should I set the relay to 2 seconds? 3 seconds? 5 seconds?

Regards,
Bill

Thanks Peranders.

My worry is not about the fuses or the diodes. It is the power switch. Without the softstart, the amp has been running for over a year, using the wall socket switch. The house lights are dimmed when it is powered on, and sometimes sparks came out from the wall socket. A number of high power rated switches installed on the amp all have been destroyed. I hope the softstart will protect the switch and provide stability for many years to come.

Regards,
Bill

The inrush current consists of two components, magnetizing the transformer and charging the caps.

The volatge increasing speed is:

I/C = V/s

So the answer is one or two mains periods => 17-34 ms if you exclude the softstart.

May I ask why you have so huge smoothing battery? Do you have a low power supply rejection ratio of the amp? "Much" isn't better always. The drawback is more harmonics and more losses in the transformer. Most likely your transformer will be able to deliver half of the VA rating due to the extra losses.

Peranders,

That is because

(1). The caps are pulled from an old amp that sounded very good so in a way it costs me nothing to put the extra uF in; If I don't use them they will be wastes.

(2) If it sounded very good with 180,000uF in the old amp I presume it is OK with the new amp with the same transformer; and

(3) The amp is to drive an averaged 3 ohm load (minimal 2.5 ohm) and I play organ music.

Question:

I am aware of possible higher harmonics but not transformer losses due to higher filter capacitance. I will be very interested in your explanations or pointing me to the relevant articles on the web.

Regards,
Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.