power supply for car amp in house? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2005, 04:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default power supply for car amp in house?

What would be a good rating to run a pretty large, but class D if that helps, car amplifier in my house for a pair of subs? It is a Kenwood KAC-9102D mono amp with a rated 500watts RMS into 4 Ohms. Not sure that I believe that rating, but for the sake of being overcautious, let's say it's correct.

Am I looking at 10A 13.8 volts supplys or more like 20A?

Thanks guys.

Greg

PS. would using a big CAP like the car audio guys make any difference in the needed size?
Old 10th October 2005, 06:15 AM   #2
Chartal is offline Chartal  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you do the math, 13.8V x 10A = 138W, really far from 500W!

500W/12V=42A RMS.

Good luck to find that big supply.

Or you can uses a 12V car battery (sealed) and charge it
between listening.
Old 10th October 2005, 07:09 AM   #3
Account Disabled

Way to go, Chartal - The car battery is the versatile solution. Not only is it smooth, and possible to charge from renewable sources (eg. solar,wind gen, or an off peak plugpack wired into your hot water) but you can listen during blackouts, and have a backup car battery if your's fails.

In reality, I doubt it would holdup too well with 13.8V with that draw and nothing coming in, but there's relief breaks in the music and crest factor even in bass, so a 1A trickle feed wallwart may be innocuous.

You could set up an exercise bike with an alternator and pedal for more bass!

Cheers,
greg
Old 10th October 2005, 07:55 AM   #4
Account Disabled

Just think - if there was a technology that existed wherein you could harness all the argumentative energy of siblings growing up and harness it to play soothing music, I WANT IT!!!

Cheers,
Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!