Computer Grade Capacitor?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2001, 04:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Why is it called computer grade? What is the difference between standard electrolytic caps?

Thank you.
Old 27th August 2001, 04:59 PM   #2
arnach is offline arnach  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to arnach
Default Curious

Also curious as to why it's called computer grade, seeing that they are never used in computers.

Anyways, generally they are considered a higher-grade of electroyltic cap, and have very high capitance ratings and low DC resistance and ripple, among other things, such as 40V, 35000 uf.. which you will not see often with standard el. caps.

-- Aaron

Old 27th August 2001, 08:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Computer grade capacitors are specified for permanent service at high temperature, over long periods (years !) and very low impedance at high frequencies.

Regards, P.Lacombe.
Old 28th August 2001, 02:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

They're called computer grade because they're used in computers--I work in a room chock full of them. Mind you, we're talking mainframe, not PC. Mainframes are built with much, much higher standards of reliability in mind than PCs (and you can draw your own conclusions about the reliability of networks based on PCs...).
Obviously, computers don't work on 400V rails, but there are 75-100V parts in the tape drives. It's a small matter to scale the voltages upwards to provide parts for other industries where (comparatively) high performance and reliability are valued.

Grey
Old 28th August 2001, 04:16 AM   #5
arnach is offline arnach  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to arnach
Default hey

Hey,

What do you know, opened up my SGI (Silicon Graphics) box and I've got them in there too. Guess they are used. But then again this computer would cost more than my house to buy new.

-- Finley
Old 24th January 2002, 10:59 AM   #6
kirc is offline kirc  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Hi !

Are this computer grade capacitors good for audio ? (low internal resistance is good for power amp power supply)

best regard,
Leon
Old 13th September 2014, 12:47 AM   #7
jpc2001 is offline jpc2001  United States
diyAudio Member

Are computer grade caps truly "permanent"?

If you're recapping an amp that is 30 or 40 years old, with unknown hours on it, and it has computer grade caps should they be changed out for (say) current production 105c-rated caps?

(apologies to the people of 2002 for disturbing the slumber of your thread.)
Old 13th September 2014, 02:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc2001 View Post
If you're recapping an amp that is 30 or 40 years old, with unknown hours on it, and it has computer grade caps should they be changed out for (say) current production 105c-rated caps?
I recapped two Krell KSA250 amps and made an effort to find 105C caps with a recent date code(important!) from a reputable manufacturer(Panasonic). I replaced both the large and small electro's, accepting 85C grade for small caps when necessary. Today's best 105C caps are superior in quality to 40yr old computer grade caps(typically Mallory).

You will probably need to work with several vendors to find the best caps. Schedule 1 month from start.... search... search... shipping... clean... clean... rebuild. I slow charged tested each new cap, mainly out of fear. I used the light bulb on the AC for the first turn on, mainly out of fear. I ran each amp for 24 hrs with a 10 watt output into a junk woofer, mainly out of fear.

Take several pictures and/or video+audio comments as you open the amp.

There are several good websites and UTube videos by top technicians which document best practices and safe cleaning techniques. Mine= Soft brushes + big vacuum + controlled wattage soldering, mainly out of fear.

Game of Thrones advice: "Winter is Coming"

Hide this!Advertise here!