Why hi-power amp produce clearer sound & more details ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
janneman said:

Some do, some do not. Some goes less far out than a low power amp. That's the point.

Jan Didden

I think you will have to use the "all else being equal' concept or this discussion goes in circle as there are so many other factors. to me that's part of a logic thought process as the original question isn't built on any specific models of amps. it is a generalization.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
tlf9999 said:

I think you will have to use the "all else being equal' concept or this discussion goes in circle as there are so many other factors. to me that's part of a logic thought process as the original question isn't built on any specific models of amps. it is a generalization.

Yes, that's why this never gets resolved. The question is: "what is the reason for such-and-such", where the such-and-such actually isn't true or at least not confirmed. Still, you get answers like "it's the SR". So, you get an explanation for something that isn't true.....

Jan Didden

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
janneman said:

Yes, that's why this never gets resolved. The question is: "what is the reason for such-and-such", where the such-and-such actually isn't true or at least not confirmed. Still, you get answers like "it's the SR". So, you get an explanation for something that isn't true.....

Jan Didden

just because something isn't confirmed doesn't mean that it is not true. A big distinction.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
janneman said:
What nonsense is this?? That tube amp has the "supply vageries" directly coupled to the load through the output transformer.

Indeed in an SE tube amp at least the last power supply cap is part of the audio circuit. In this one the parafeed isolates the circuit from the power supply leaving only the 3.3 uF clarity cap in the audio circuit. As well all the power supply caps are poly (the biggest cost in the amp) and being class A the current draw is fairly constant.

Most important is that in the end it works, and works well (speaker selection is somewhat limited, but it was built to work with the speakers extant, not the other way round.

The example was given to show a low powered amp, with the power supply in the equation that sounded really good.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
carlosfm said:
I have a pair of 2x75uF (150uf total)/600V film caps.
They are as big as missiles. :D

Small size is certainly not one of their virtues. Here are the 22 uF/600V caps for a pre-amp....

dave

Attachments

• 8xsolen-caps.jpg
    8xsolen-caps.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 114
Why hi-power amp produce clearer sound & more details ... Post #1
...particularly at low volume/level of listening ?

Shall I propose a methodological aproach? :angel:
The starter of the thread (may s/he be in good health :D ) makes three statements or opinions:
1) clearer sound: that, IMHO, has to do with PS quality, noise rejection rate, all kind of noise immunity, type of active parts... etc and not with power!

2) more details: I imagine we talk about music here :D If that's the case, "details" mean low amplitude, transitory and maybe "high SR" signals, BUT superimosed to a more ample musical information (V). I think when we talk about an amp SR it is "potential" SR that has to be allowed to exist by a competent PS. In that case I think a more powerful amp with higher SR can deal more easily with details in a complex score, at respectable levels. That's in part why I was convinced about making an "active" system.

3) low volume/level: here I can't see how could this be possible. If SR and PS are "comparable " (ie optimal for each amp) the PS will not be stressed and amp will be equally "á l'aise".

Let us don't mix apples with pears.

Best regards
Mauricio

maxlorenz said:
3) low volume/level: here I can't see how could this be possible. If SR and PS are "comparable " (ie optimal for each amp) the PS will not be stressed and amp will be equally "á l'aise".

Mauricio, it is possible, but let's just say that the thread starter is generalizing too much, because it doesn't have a direct relation with power.
One thing is for certain, and clearly demonstrable: take a pair of difficult to drive speakers.
Then test several amps.
Those amps that can't drive this pair of speakers will show it, even at low levels (I mean late night low levels).
Clearly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.