Constructors, have you assemble some forum amplifier, can you post it here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have constructed the RevA of Mauro's 'My_Ref' circuit based on the LM3886 chip.

It is an excellent amplifier, and compares favorably with my Musical Fidelity P170 power amp. I'm currently building Russ White's implementation of the RevC version of this circuit as monoblocks.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Mauro thread is here...

Regards,

Michael

destroyer X said:
So, please post images, your evaluation, subjective or objective and schematics please.

Not feeling confortable to publish something, i will be happy to receive your true informs directly in my mail.

nanabrother@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

Hello Carlos ! How are you doing ?

Well, I think you've already followed my thread about the amp I've build but now I've posted 3 pictures of it. Take a look ! I hope you like it.

Link to Thread

João Pedro

Frankly speaking, this is about searching the old threads rather than collecting them here ;) . We all know that there are so many gainclone amps, alephs, zens, per-anders preamps, etc. (I do not want to forget anybody) build by forum members. Regarding my audio buffer preamp, there were more than one hundred of them built and many of the builders are forum members. Some of them displayed it on their home pages.

João Pedro, thank you, i will follow your link...thank you.

I am doing a lot of things at same time João.... new amplifiers are coming soon.... a Canadien are teaching some secrets to me...and some new ideas are arriving from North America.

Also the beach is turning better.... Summer is here.... arrived to stay... sunshine all day long JPnascim.

When testing some Embraer Airplane.... came to visit big Charlie...i am always monitoring the only fixed frequency....125.100 Megahertz.... just call "bull" in the place of "bravo"...i will understand..do it when having tower instructions to land... and i will be there!

Pavel, thanks the information, very usefull.

regards,

Carlos

Pretty construction JPnascim....the way you do...the parts used....

It is fast to recognize a brazilian diy amplifier.... space between parts, simetry...hehe...very nice.

Could you find solution for your noise?

Sagarverma is without answer.... very interesting the guy...in your thread!

How is this amplifier sound...your subjective description and some information referenced in something already known by forum constructors will be interesting.

Yes, i know you have not too much time...i will be waiting with patience.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• nascim.jpg
    nascim.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 688
Well guys, i will need to be out for a couple of days, to format my HD

As my windows is heavily damaged by many viruses attacks and virus deletion along this year.

As i have only one thread to feed to keep alive, i will take a break for a moment.

As i have only this thread to feed, i think i can have this time for me to take care of my PC, this thread will be feed by itself because it is the oportunity to post your constructions all together in a same thread, without the need to make people to follow dozen of links to visit each home page.

Well...this is your part of the job.... you feed it if you think it is interesting...if not..let it die naturally.

I will return.... with faster and brand new computer, and more and more schematics and construction pictures of genuine home made diy handcraft.

regards,

Carlos

Re: Pretty construction JPnascim....the way you do...the parts used....

destroyer X said:
It is fast to recognize a brazilian diy amplifier.... space between parts, simetry...hehe...very nice.

Could you find solution for your noise?

Sagarverma is without answer.... very interesting the guy...in your thread!

How is this amplifier sound...your subjective description and some information referenced in something already known by forum constructors will be interesting.

Yes, i know you have not too much time...i will be waiting with patience.

regards,

Carlos

Thank you Carlos ! I've many mistakes but I was quite satisfied with my results. But I will try to do better next time !

Well, yes, I would say that I've solved 95 % of my problems with noise but I couldn't get any better. I've used a ready layout from the book and I've noticed that it mixed rail decoupling grounds with feedback and other "clean" grounds, which is condemnable.

About its sound... Well I like it very much. It is precise, clean, appears to have no coloration. Since it is very fast it reproduces fast transients at loud levels showing no signs of distorion.
I've crudely measured its frequency response and it is almost flat (stays within +/-0.3 dB range along 20-20Khz band ). Because of that and the non linear nature of human ear, it can sound a little dull when playing at very low volumes (Fletcher-Munson curves). I am planning to add some tonal controls to counter this. This is the only issue. Everything else is fine: drums, guitars, pianos, voices and etc sound (to me) the way they should.

What I find really amazing is that this Slone Amp I've built (Design 3 from his Audio Amplifier Construction Manual) is really really similar to the Self's blameless amp which everyone appears to dislike. But a good number of people (including me) like Slone's amps.

Best regards,

João Pedro

krell clone

Mr. Destroyer-x, I have read many of your posts, and emotionally have gone from disbelief/amusement to being very confused at your wording, and now I actually think that you might know what you are doing. Clearly you are a big hit here at diyaudio.com, an impressive and very good natured personality.

Here is a link to my Krell clone, please look. Perhaps someday after I learn more I can convince people that I am not too bad at this.

link

Igreen....thank you by the comprehension and the support.

Yes, amusement and strong deception....yes, you are rigth.

Your work is wonderfull, you may be one of the best we have, and really humble is not adequated to your work.

It is so good that you may feel pride...as that construction quality are not common.

Congratulations Doctor Igreen..... related assemble, a Doctor!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• krell%20clone%20wood%20panel%20on.jpg
    krell%20clone%20wood%20panel%20on.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 403
I'm building an amplifier that I plan to output over 300W @ 4 ohms. Maybe 400W if I get a big enough trans :D :hot: But right now just testing with ~ 200W transformer. 5 pairs of MJL4281/4302 CFP. Amp goes down real low freq, 10uf input cap, 63K input impedance, direct connected speaker.

I built a 50W amp @ 4ohm, using ~36V ~80W transformer from an old 70's amp, (single supply) a year ago using old parts, and 2N3055/MJ2955 outputs and a large heatsink, with 2 80mm comp fans, and put it in a small blue cardboard box. Heatsink never gets hot, but amp plays hard. CFP output, 2200 uf output cap. Bass is strong even for single supply.

I'll post pics when I get them loaded.

Destroyer X, do you agree that it's more fun, and better to build yourself because you can taylor amp to your needs, than getting a consumer amp?

Yes workshop 1708, now a days i agree with you, as i could realise that production

costs can reduce enormously final quality.

For instance, the use of two transformers, 2 independent supplies produce more power, and better channel separation than the comercial units.

Doing by ourselves we can decide by quality, even if this represents cost increase.

Also the choice of personall preferences...my case i love analogue power meters, and also i do not forget to install some peak power meters, using LEDs.... and comercial units, may have one kind of metering of other, beeing less common to find both.

The pleasure that we can have doing our units are something pleasant that last longer than unpacking comercial units... and those, in many cases, are very deceptive in sound reproduction.

Please, post your images, beeing together in some posts, will be easier to view, without open all forum threads...and there are many guys that loves pictures, selecting threads to visit because the image quantity....my case!

regards,

Carlos

EWorkshop1708 said:
Holy SH!T that amp looks good! :D :eek:

How many watts is it?

What output transistors?

How much uf Capacitors?

If its mine you are talking about, check this link for all the details (more links on the link as well). Questions and comments can be put there.

Lets see some more amps, don't let the photo thread in the tube forum show us sold-staters up!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.