Preamp concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking about building a new preamp. The concept is shown in the attached image.

Attachments

• discpre.gif
    discpre.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 8,777
Hi PMA,

have you thought once about a folded cascode? Your preamp can modified simply: Connect the base of your third bjt to a constant voltage. Remove the resistor from the collector of the second transitor to ground and connect the collector directly to the negative supply.

The benefits of a folded cascode are:

1. Only one amplifying stage
2. Very high cutoff frequency

I like the output stage you made. But it can be made more simple: Remove the output transistors at the right side and connect two resistors (lets say about 470 ohms) from the drivers to the output. I made something similar and found the results very promising.

Hi Pavel
Before I can comment anything I have some questions:
1. What's the RC near diamond buffer? Does it make anthing useful?
2. How do you set low offset voltage?
3. I assume that you are aware that you need very clean rails for your LTP-VAS arrangement and CCSs too, right?

cheers and regards

Hi bocka and darkfenriz,

B1) The folded cascode is great, I am thinking about comparing more solutions, cutoff frequency of the circuit shown is about 6MHz
B2) I want to keep the lowest output impedance, as I have excellent sound results with it (even if compared to 50 Ohm output impedance)

D1) The RC is a kind of frequency compensation
D2) I do not take into account low DC output offset in this step, this can be solved by standard way (BTW output offset depends on currents through differential pair)
D3) Yes, I am aware of it, again it can be solved by several ways, this is just a concept, which is just able to work

The RC is a kind of frequency compensation

Applied along the section of voltage gain of 1....?
Is it class AB output?
On this RC there is a buffer error voltage drop, dividing by RC impedance you get parasitic error current drawn from VAS.
I think you are trying to be mysterious about the point of this arrangement... This seems to generate more distortion at higher frequencies. Or was it just a cure for non-stability on 6Mhz when strange things do happen?

I think I don't have to say that the rest of the circuit is perfect?
:D
regards

P.S. For some extend your VAS is also folded cascode.

darkfenriz said:

Applied along the section of voltage gain of 1....?
On this RC there is a buffer error voltage drop, dividing by RC impedance you get parasitic error current drawn from VAS.
I think you are trying to be mysterious about the point of this arrangement...

As you know, the followers have 100% voltage feedback. Do you think they are unconditionally stable?

With emitter resistors of both 'drivres' and output stage you could add some local modulation or error correction or feedback or whatever one would call it.
Maybe you would be interested in my use of diamond buffer with modulated current sources (error correction).???
Perfect buffer for unity gain preamp, headphone class A amplifier or filters.
Needs some adjustment of bias and offset: 321R/339R are pots.
What do you think?

schematic:

Attachments

• buffer.jpg
    buffer.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 3,983
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.