about free samples

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
timolien said:
I didn't hear anything from AD or TI.

I had to pay taxes on the TI shipment though (21% on value as mentioned on the packages). It seems the customs pick only those packages with a value of more than 25 EURO here in Belgium.

Better ask less samples per package and more packages.

Gert

I got a negativce answer from AD and I was referred to local dealers. I asked for LM3875.
No Gaincard clone for free...

:xeye:

Marc

Maybe this is interesting or not. Anyway, my Harman Kardon car amp (TC300) had some bad semi-conductors, I think. I went to the H/K website with the intension of ordering them, but they were $40 plus for 2 of them. So I searched the internet and found them for something between $5-1. When I called they told me that they have a mininum order of $25, so they sent them to me for free as samples.

But I soldered them in the wrong place because there were 2 different kinds in that partular place on the circuit board and fired another one. In all I think I would need 10-8 semi-conductors to fix the problem since I don't know exactly which ones are bad. Nore do I know how to find out which ones are bad. Where could I obtain some semi-conductors as samples? I don't think the place above I ordered from will send me free samples again cause I will come to close to $25.

On a different note, I hate unsodering semi-conductors it's almost impossible. You can only unsolder one connection at a time and the other two connections hold it more or less immobile to the circuit board.

Re: footsteps

As if the FBI is going to drop everything and show up at
your door ???????????????????

what would the FBI be dropping? their pants perhaps?

----

"you did not like this show? too bad, an hour has passed anyway!" (new slogan in the FOX commercial) ?! 87dnhl34chnmvl;rtunutj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jduncan said:
i tried for a small sample with aavid thermalloy just then ;)

....see how it goes....im an EE student though and didn't lie on the form.....put my lab as shipping address hehe ;)

I've had mixed results with them. Once time I asked for a sample of a certain profile and they sent a 1" section, another time they sent a massive 12" section (12"x6"x6")

I've also had a number of mixups with ON Semiconductor. Probably 2 times out of 10 when I've ordered a sample of 10 and rather than the 10, they've sent me a whole case. Such as 1000 1N4004's rather than 10, 5000 MPS8099's and 5000 MPS8599's, etc. Its been several years since I last ordered samples from them so I don't know if they've fixed this

Kelly McDonald said:

I've also had a number of mixups with ON Semiconductor. Probably 2 times out of 10 when I've ordered a sample of 10 and rather than the 10, they've sent me a whole case. Such as 1000 1N4004's rather than 10, 5000 MPS8099's and 5000 MPS8599's, etc. Its been several years since I last ordered samples from them so I don't know if they've fixed this

What's the complaint? No place to store them? :)

Kelly McDonald said:

Why would anyone order samples of 1N4004? Why would anyone provide them?

Re: Elna samples

NerdMike said:
I inquired about samples from Elna via the electronics co. that I work for. Their sample policy is: "You need to purchase samples, min. 1000 pcs. per item" Bummer.

I was able to get some samples from Elna a while back, I just contacted the product rep in my town and asked them if they sample components. I managed to get a few big electrolytic caps from them (4 of one value and 2 of another).

Most product reps will order samples for you from most manufacturers. They will standardly ask what the application is and what your projected requirements. I answer truthfully, We're a startup audio company prototyping an amplifier, once complete we will gauge customer reaction, if it is favorable then we may go into production with potentially 100 to 1000 units per year.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.