about free samples - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2002, 12:33 PM   #1
f4ier is offline f4ier  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default about free samples

Greetings,

I'm thinking of requesting some sample opamps from

Texas Instruments
-- OPA627
-- OPA2134
-- OPA4134
-- TL072
-- TL074

Analog Devices
-- AD797
-- AD8610
-- AD825

National Semiconductor
-- LM3886
-- LM3876
-- LM833

I was wondering how much tax (if any) people had to pay when their orders arrived. I am particularly curious of how much Australians had to pay

The end of the school year is 2 months away, so I'm looking forward to building an opamp-based minimalist preamp, active filters (for sub and mains), power amp and preamp with tone controls

Thanks in advance!

Isaac
Old 1st October 2002, 12:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default US has NTR with Australia

for importation into the US you can find the tarriffs on the State Department website (but you really have to dig) -- I am certain you have a similar functionary in Aussieland.

It is amusing to go through the tariffs and see how the stuff is manipulated by companies and interest groups in the US. for instance, if you are a cell-phone manufacturer there is no duty on the importation of headsets, if you are an audio buff, there is duty on headphones imported from abroad (I think it's 4.9%).
Old 1st October 2002, 12:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: about free samples

Quote:
Originally posted by f4ier
I was wondering how much tax (if any) people had to pay when their orders arrived. I am particularly curious of how much Australians had to pay
You have to pay tax and custom fee according to local laws.
The companies send out the packages on original value, only for custom issues.
Check out, how much is the limit in Australia to get the products without tax and custom fees.

At least in Hungary is about 12-15% custom fee + 25% tax is coming, if the package is over 20USD...
Old 2nd October 2002, 07:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies!

Good luck looking for information from our government's websites I went ahead and requested the samples, let's just see how much duty one has to pay.

A kind lady at AD was kind enough to give me an ETA on the samples -- 7th Oct. -- and she mentioned I didn't have to pay anything as AD pays for everything including duty Let's hope so TI, however, clearly stated I might have to pay extra when the package arrives (on 4th Oct.); I can't recall if National mentioned anything about additional charges.

If memory serves me well, I didn't have to pay any local tax when I ordered nearly 80-AU$ worth of CDs from overseas. I was also interested in making a DSP-based subwoofer equalizer, using samples from TI, but I think I'll wait for my first requests before anything else.

best regards,
Isaac
Old 3rd October 2002, 05:56 AM   #5
2002tii is offline 2002tii  Norway
diyAudio Member

They mark the shipment with "Sample No Comercial Value" so that you can avoid the taxes. That`s one of the reasons that you are not alowed to resale the samples.

I have recived a lot of samples with no taxes, and here in Norway we pay lot`s of taxes (car`s and beer is twice the German prices).

Once (1998) I recived a sample package where they had stated the true value => 20$ tax on two dac`s...
Old 3rd October 2002, 07:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I ordered from Analog Devices, National Semiconductors and Burr Brown and I live in Germany. They wrote the original prices on the invoice but at the bottom that they are free samples. I didnīt pay any taxes at all.
Old 3rd October 2002, 07:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Question Can you give me some extra info?

Hello,

I want to ask a few questions about free samples. I live in Yugoslavia and there's no chance to get them here, but I have a friend in Philadelphia and she doesn't know anything about electronics. Im also interested in AD and TI/BB mostly.

When I want to make a profile on some of those sites what are "the best values" to put in the fields like Company name, job, business, No. of employees, primary purcasing channel... because for Company name I will have to make a fake one and also when ordring samples, those like - how many components your company will use on an annual basis etc.

Does it make a difference at all???

Will they ask some more questions, or call my friend on the phone, because she won't have many wise words to tell them

Also... what is Job title?

Sorry for so much, maybe stupid, questions, but I really need those answers because it's first time for me to try to order them.

Thank you
Old 3rd October 2002, 08:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

From what I know most people make the whole thing up.
Write everything without taking too far. I wrote a fake telephone number. Only my name , address and email where correct. I only got some emails after confirming my order or some advertisements.
Old 3rd October 2002, 08:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks again everyone! Zero or very small duty means more $$ for miscellaneous parts I just received email from all three companies that the samples are on their way.

Rendisha,

If you're not comfortable with giving your personal details, just provide information that is "close enough." It really doesn't matter much as the information you provide is just for survey porposes. Just don't put silly details; after all you are getting free samples in return I wouldn't know if they call you after a certain amount of time, this is my first ever request for samples. Perhaps the others can reassure you on this matter.

Job Title is the name of your line of work or position held in a company -- are you an Engineer, Accountant, Student...

Isaac
Old 3rd October 2002, 08:25 AM   #10
2002tii is offline 2002tii  Norway
diyAudio Member

Now I use my workplace as company since i work with electronics production (www.Kitron.com).
Earlier I used my private home address and made up a company name.
Only problem with using my home address was that the parts usually arrives by car during daytime when I`m at work.
Nobody home => no samples delivered...

I have gotten a telephone call from BB once regarding a DAC sample and I have ordered lot`s of samples.

Just tell her to say that you are out and that the part`s are for som project you are working on. Worst case you miss out on that sample.

Hide this!Advertise here!