diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Importance of "First Watt" ;) (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/64495-importance-first-watt.html)

PMA 18th September 2005 02:43 PM

Importance of "First Watt" ;)

2 Attachment(s)
There's a nice product called "First Watt" by NP and I agree that importance of low distortion especially for and even for very low power is usually underestimated. This is the reason why most AB amplifiers sound bad though measure good - when measured at higher power. I agree that the first watt is importatnt and I attach 20mW spectrum of my error correction amp (inspired by NP). Please forget the baseline curls, which are the soundcard problem. I would greatly appreciate to see similar measurement of the "FirstWatt" amplifier.

Upupa Epops 18th September 2005 03:06 PM

20 mW is silent night listening ;) , what do you can listen by this level ? Much more interesting are results by cca 1W, where NP " baby " show much more distortion than your amp....Don't doubt, which one is better ;) ...

anli 18th September 2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Upupa Epops
20 mW is silent night listening ;) , what do you can listen by this level ?
Sound decay and reverberations are examples of such levels.

Upupa Epops 18th September 2005 03:31 PM

Which sound decay do you mean ? :xeye:

PMA 18th September 2005 03:32 PM

Sure, we do not listen to fix amplitude one sine tone ;) , dynamic range of almost every music signal covers low levels as well.

anli 18th September 2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Upupa Epops
Which sound decay do you mean ? :xeye:
I know, my english is ugly :-)

A sound's life has different stages. Roughly speaking, they are: attack-suspend-decay. With my new amp this life is noticeable longer :-)

Jan Dupont 18th September 2005 04:38 PM

Anli:
The low distortion of the low level signales will be "killed" by the distortion of the main signals ;)

mikeks 18th September 2005 04:43 PM

Re: Importance of "First Watt" ;)

Quote:

Originally posted by PMA
....importance of low distortion especially for and even for very low power is usually underestimated....
True... :nod: ...

...which is why i prefer Class-AB to Self's so-called optimal Class-B...

darkfenriz 18th September 2005 05:23 PM

Hallo
Nice topic.
Pavel Dudek, you frequently raised this issue:
If 16-bit digital sound has 96dB of dynamic range (ratio to quantum noise), than if full amplitude translates to 100W, 20mW has only 60dB, right?

anli 18th September 2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ACD
Anli:
The low distortion of the low level signales will be "killed" by the distortion of the main signals ;)

:) I'd say this way:

"The low level signals will be "killed" by the distortion of the main signals"