Importance of "First Watt" ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PMA said:
I have already compared B, AB and AB with error correction. For me the question has been answered.
..... but have you listened to First Watt? As you see in my review, see below, Pass' stuff has complex measurement results and if you had just looked at the diagrams Pass' stuff must be :down: :yuck: but the reviewers find otherwise..... so measurements must be together with real use also.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
peranders said:

..... but have you listened to First Watt? As you see in my review, see below, Pass' stuff has complex measurement results and if you had just looked at the diagrams Pass' stuff must be :down: :yuck: but the reviewers find otherwise..... so measurements must be together with real use also.

P-A,

You make the implicit assumption that the pos reviewers view is caused by the sound quality only. Do you have any proof for that :D ?

Jan Didden

As long it's not blind tests I don't trust the reviewer particulary much. Johannes , it's a shame that you can't read the original but there are some many words and it sounds rather ridiculous when you search for english words. In many cases there are very very very small differences but the opinion is HUGE differences.

I have never heard an amplifier that measured bad and sounded excellent. As opposite, when amp that measured well sounded bad, it had always been an incomplete set of measurements that was misleading.

On the other hand - I use classical music (mostly philharmonic orchestra) to evaluate audio products. For this reason, solutions like 300B, primitive SE class A etc. fail during these tests. It may happen that people listening only to club jazz or one instrument show prefer distorting stuff, but this is quickly demasked by complex music.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
PMA said:
[snip]On the other hand - I use classical music (mostly philharmonic orchestra) to evaluate audio products. For this reason, solutions like 300B, primitive SE class A etc. fail during these tests. It may happen that people listening only to club jazz or one instrument show prefer distorting stuff, but this is quickly demasked by complex music.

Pavel,

Exactly my experience. When I go to audio shows (which is not very often, but sometimes I get this masochist urge) I try to convince exhibitors of "simple" amps to play large, massive orchestral works. They invariably refuse, saying they don't have these CDs with them. Luckily, I do. But they still refuse.
Years ago I had a fight (conversationally) with an Audio Note guy when they presented their little system, I forgot the type. At the end I was asked to leave the booth as I was "keeping other visitors from listening".

Jan Didden

janneman said:

Pavel,

Exactly my experience. When I go to audio shows (which is not very often, but sometimes I get this masochist urge) I try to convince exhibitors of "simple" amps to play large, massive orchestral works. They invariably refuse, saying they don't have these CDs with them. Luckily, I do. But they still refuse.
Years ago I had a fight (conversationally) with an Audio Note guy when they presented their little system, I forgot the type. At the end I was asked to leave the booth as I was "keeping other visitors from listening".

Jan Didden

Jan,

I am very glad that Upupa and me are not the only "fools" here ;) Then - what is the sense of "sound" disputes? Can the forum bring any judgement? Certainly not. But it allows to meet interesting people ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
janneman said:

Pavel,

Jan Didden

listening or rewieving SE amp WITHOUT horn speakers is same as rewieving decent SS amp with nail instead speaker.

to each his own

in any case- audiophooling is desease ?!

smarta**ing is just other word for same thing

My question is why not each to his own? Just because someone else likes a SE amp or you like a 1000W class D doesn't really make it bad . I'm not much into the idea that one size fits all. The Scientific Method is great but it often doesn't do a good job of figuring in the Human Experience. But this is just my 2 cents ... anyways.. :D

Naz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.