Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2005, 07:07 AM   #21
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PMA
I have already compared B, AB and AB with error correction. For me the question has been answered.
..... but have you listened to First Watt? As you see in my review, see below, Pass' stuff has complex measurement results and if you had just looked at the diagrams Pass' stuff must be but the reviewers find otherwise..... so measurements must be together with real use also.
Old 20th September 2005, 07:19 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

..... but have you listened to First Watt? As you see in my review, see below, Pass' stuff has complex measurement results and if you had just looked at the diagrams Pass' stuff must be but the reviewers find otherwise..... so measurements must be together with real use also.

P-A,

You make the implicit assumption that the pos reviewers view is caused by the sound quality only. Do you have any proof for that ?

Jan Didden
Old 20th September 2005, 07:36 AM   #23
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

As long it's not blind tests I don't trust the reviewer particulary much. Johannes , it's a shame that you can't read the original but there are some many words and it sounds rather ridiculous when you search for english words. In many cases there are very very very small differences but the opinion is HUGE differences.
Old 20th September 2005, 07:48 AM   #24
tlf9999 is offline tlf9999  United States
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
As long it's not blind tests I don't trust the reviewer particulary much.

any review that isn't done objectively has limited value as a review.
Old 20th September 2005, 01:29 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

By my personal experience are many reviwers total deaf and they don't know, what they CAN listen....Manytimes they sit at backside in front of BIG NAMES....
Old 20th September 2005, 01:52 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Upupa Epops
By my personal experience are many reviwers total deaf and they don't know, what they CAN listen....Manytimes they sit at backside in front of BIG NAMES....

Writing big names as BIG NAMES gives me the concern that you are inpressed by BIG NAMES possibly more than by the sound?

Jan Didden
Old 20th September 2005, 03:13 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Jan, I have my ears on my head, not on my back side ....
Old 20th September 2005, 04:26 PM   #28
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I have never heard an amplifier that measured bad and sounded excellent. As opposite, when amp that measured well sounded bad, it had always been an incomplete set of measurements that was misleading.

On the other hand - I use classical music (mostly philharmonic orchestra) to evaluate audio products. For this reason, solutions like 300B, primitive SE class A etc. fail during these tests. It may happen that people listening only to club jazz or one instrument show prefer distorting stuff, but this is quickly demasked by complex music.
Old 20th September 2005, 04:47 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Upupa Epops
Jan, I have my ears on my head, not on my back side ....
Upupa, I wasn't talking about your ears. I was talking about that stuff between them

Jan Didden
Old 20th September 2005, 04:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PMA
[snip]On the other hand - I use classical music (mostly philharmonic orchestra) to evaluate audio products. For this reason, solutions like 300B, primitive SE class A etc. fail during these tests. It may happen that people listening only to club jazz or one instrument show prefer distorting stuff, but this is quickly demasked by complex music.

Pavel,

Exactly my experience. When I go to audio shows (which is not very often, but sometimes I get this masochist urge) I try to convince exhibitors of "simple" amps to play large, massive orchestral works. They invariably refuse, saying they don't have these CDs with them. Luckily, I do. But they still refuse.
Years ago I had a fight (conversationally) with an Audio Note guy when they presented their little system, I forgot the type. At the end I was asked to leave the booth as I was "keeping other visitors from listening".

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!