Build NAIM clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nice

I think that's very nice.

Questions

- First time i've seen someone make a discrete high current voltage regulator. What voltage range does it provide and how much current can it deliver?

- how did you get the 3D models- does Eagle have this feature?

Re: nice

lgreen said:
I think that's very nice.

Questions

- First time i've seen someone make a discrete high current voltage regulator. What voltage range does it provide and how much current can it deliver?

Id like to know the rail voltage of the voltage after regulation too. I see that he has a pot for both rails to be adjusted.. HUmm id be interested in buying a few of these boards :D

J'

Originally posted by hifidaddy
on the power amplifier circuit, what is the paralleling of T5 with T13 respectively T4 with T14 is meant for ?

I have never seen such a paralleling of different transistors at the voltage amplifier stage.

Read in the top left corner :) It is simply a convention for routing the PCB to allow either TO92 or TO126 devices to be used.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've always had a hankering to build a NAIM (have owned 3 x 160 and 2 NAITs). Particularily interested in the NAP regulators.

<the following is a rant -- it should not be considered a slight, just part of my meager effort to make the web a more useful place>

But... your web site uses javascript for navigation and none of the menus work. <rant> javascript should NEVER be used for navigation because it is guaranteed to break somewher sometime</rant>

I could also live without the frames (whoever foisted frames on us should be shot, and what looks like a flash anumation.

Whiz for whiz sake is just a bad idea.

OK. I found a browser it works in (well mostly) -- sorry to rant, but the pages really aren't very good.

The project i really like thou -- as much as i was willing to wade thru to see.

If you want some constructive criticism to make your site WAY better send me a private mail.

dave

Neil McBride has images of the PCBs on his website.
I have just bought a Naim 250 clone from a guy who copied the original Naim circuit and it sounds a treat. It doesnt use the regulators but the builder reckoned they didnt add anything to the sound. I've heard elsewhere that the regulators main function are to make the amp modules behave under all conditions rather than add to sonic quality.
I dont have a scanner but do have a print of the pcb.
I'd recommend the Avondale version of the design - better controlled, more finesse and with Avondale's CAP6 inductor decoupled smoothing caps, it's a giant killer.

If you want to get a working Naim copy, then do so as good as possible and not try to better their designs with those Avondale mods. I once found so many mistakes and misunderstandings in the Avondale manuals, it was a shame. Maybe these amps work, but will not sound like the orginals.

A NAP250 with regulated power supplies sound significantly better than the unregulated version like the NAP180. So if you have the 250 amp boards without the regulated psu it will never be 250.

Naim amps are systems, their power amps never worked perfectly without their own preamps, not passively or with other preamps. This can be tested very easily yourself.

I have heard so many Naim copies, which tried to better the orginals, but were all much worse. Much worse. All of them. Also mine, I must admit.

My present Naim clones ( 42.5 + 140double mono) sound as good as I could make them 15 years ago. There is more info on this forum maybe still, please do a search.

You really astonish me, upupa. :whazzat:

The LM3875 is a quasicomplimentary amp too, did you forget that?How many posts are here to talk about their quality in the right circuit?

No, it depends how a circuit is made.
I really get sick after all those yeary still hearing people complaing about the topology of the Naim amps. This seems to be a never ending story with the same arguments again and again.
Study the schematics, if you have them, in full detail. Call it clever compensation, call it tweaked. But these amps always sounded how they were thought: Fully musically satifying.
As far as I remember did John Lindsey Hood construct the compensation circuit (actually a diode only) for the quasi complimentary output stage? Julian Vereker, the founder of Naim Audio, just added some caps here and some resistors there, found the right transistors (!!!) and transformed a simple circuit in an all time classic.

Have you ever listened to any of them? I doubt that.

I know very well, where are quality borders of quasicomplementary amps ;) .... BTW, do you mean, that today JLH should construct still quasicomplementary one ? I mean, that no ( God bless his soul )... And can you tell me, what are " right " transistors ? Isn't it all only about bussines ? To make some different thing, than other manufacturers ? For me is terminus " musical amp " only synonymum for amp, which have audible distortion....and I can't listen similar amp.... ;)

lohk said:
But I believe the the ALW superregs will better the orginal Naim preamp psus, but I did not made one yet nor have I heard it.

There are many people that have built ALW Superregs including myself that are very pleased with the results. Avondale's SPX and APX power supplies are highly recommended and I have yet to hear someone say that they where not an improvement on the Naim Hicap.
I've yet to hear a better amp than the Avondale 250z, try one and see.
Their recent addition of the CAP6 smoothing caps makes all the difference.

lohk said:
I really get sick after all those yeary still hearing people complaing about the topology of the Naim amps. I doubt that.

Circuitry of the Naim amplifiers raised an eyebrow from the day they were produced.
The British way : different ! :clown:

I did have the opportunity to see and listen to a Nap 135 combo, like a few other British brands they performed quite well.
Only downside overhere was the pricetag, a trifle much for so little watts.
I believe the comparison made was the Aston Martin of amps.
Not the fastest, not the latest SOAT, but fun.
(i've always wanted to be uncle Oswald Cornelius and drive a Lagonda)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.