Super oscillator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2001, 10:43 PM   #1
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

If anybody needs a real good oscillator let me know. I can make any circuit oscillate
Old 26th August 2001, 04:56 AM   #2
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Everybody knows that if you need an oscillator all you have to do is build an amplifier.
Old 26th August 2001, 12:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thats were most of my experience came from.
Old 26th August 2001, 12:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Talking Amplifier Oscillations

I heard a saying (don't know where it came from);

"Amplifiers always oscillate, oscillators only sometimes oscillate"
Old 26th August 2001, 04:55 PM   #5
arnach is offline arnach  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to arnach
Default Heh

Heh...but how about a circuit for an ultra-low-distortion 60hz (not khz) oscillator? I'd most appreciate it.

Thanks, --Aaron
Old 26th August 2001, 06:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Smile mhz or higher

Most of mine oscillate in the mhz range.Would you be needing one of them. You'll have to split shipping. It could get rather expensive.
Old 26th August 2001, 09:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I once read an anecdote where some researchers needed a really accurate time base for an experiment. Tried oscillators--they drifted too much. Built circuits--they drifted too. Tried everything they could think of. Nothing worked.
The solution?
One of them picked up the phone and had an inspiration...use good old Ma Bell's dial tone. Solid as a rock.
The experiment went off without a hitch.
(Bell Labs probably developed the circuit by using a DIY amp to generate the dial tone...)

Grey
Old 28th August 2001, 03:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Damon Hill
I just recycled a bunch of parts into a new/old amplifier
using my updated Leach 2.something boards. I didn't solder in the Zobel networks before i put it on my system; the next day my girlfriend complained about a high pitched noise. Yup, you guessed it; the AR-11s and the Kimber 4TC wiring had enough weirdness to make the normally stable Leach oscillate. Either the Zobel or 10 ohm base resistors on output transistors controlled it; all I could tell was that the sound wasn't 'right'. My tweeters were getting kinda toasty from the near-ultrasonic modulation.

I'm also in need of an ultra-low distortion oscillator; my
equipment residuals seem to be around .03%.

It looks like a programmable oscillator could be built with a 24-bit DAC which would have very low residuals. But I don't know diddly about digital circuits; analog gives me enough fits. Be a good excuse to put one of my Jung regulators to work for a good cause...
Old 28th August 2001, 05:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon Hill
I'm also in need of an ultra-low distortion oscillator; my equipment residuals seem to be around .03%.

It looks like a programmable oscillator could be built with a 24-bit DAC which would have very low residuals. But I don't know diddly about digital circuits; analog gives me enough fits. Be a good excuse to put one of my Jung regulators to work for a good cause...
You're in luck. There are some high quality test tones available in 'http://www.diydb.org/'. The 24-bit tones sound good on my SGI O2, but I haven't found the right codec for my PC, so they're not completly tested.

There are tones and sweeps. My next task will be to generate 'warbles'. These are in both 16-bit and 24-bit, with sample rates up to 96K/S. These tones are probably cleaner than your computer's sound card (check out 'http://www.pcavtech.com/' to get info on your sound card).

Hide this!Advertise here!