I need an interpreter, maybe a new receiver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2005, 09:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I need an interpreter, maybe a new receiver?

I'm considering purchasing a pair of Infinity Primus 360 speakers. The reviews I've read on these speakers are very good (considering the $400/pair price) but this snippet from Stereophile has me concerned that my receiver won't work well with these speakers.

That said, I don't really what the heck this is telling me and wanted to know if someone could tell me in layman's terms what this means. The reviewer is recommending a 4 ohm amp and my Yamaha RX-496 is 75w x2 into 8 ohm.

The snippet:
"However, with an impedance magnitude that drops below 4 ohms in the lower midrange and high treble and an electrical phase angle that is extreme in the upper bass (fig.1), the speaker needs to be partnered with an amplifier or receiver that can drive low impedances with aplomb. (The combination of 5.2 ohms and 45 phase angle at 93Hz will tax amplifiers rated at 8 ohms.)"

Here's the page it cam from:
http://stereophile.com/floorloudspea...ty/index3.html

So in practical terms will my RX-486 drive these? Or is this review saying I will miss out on lower midrange and high treble? Could someone please interpret this techno stuff?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 12th September 2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Those fully qualify as 4 ohm speakers. The result of driving them with an amplifier rated for 8 ohm will depend on how oversized it is. Overcurrent protection may be triggered, also output device SOA may be exceeded with potential failure risk, or it may just work fine, though.
Old 12th September 2005, 11:25 PM   #3
Jorge is offline Jorge  Brazil
diyAudio Member

What they are sayng is these speakers are difficult loads and will tax any amp that do not works well with 4 ohms load.

This said, it really means the amp may/will distort in the mids, depending on output level.
Old 13th September 2005, 12:25 AM   #4
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You'd be better with a dedicated power amplifier for such a difficult to drive load. Most recievers have only a very simple amplifier section that only works well with easy to drive speakers at 8 ohms.

Hide this!Advertise here!