from +/-80v to +/-70v rails

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey any ideas of how can I reduce voltage rails from +/-80v to +/-70v. I guess something like this as in the pic will work, any other ideas pls ?

Thanks

Attachments

• 70v.jpg
    70v.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 509
Stringing diodes is a bad idea as their junction drop varies with current and temperature (they will get very hot at high output), plus you need loads of them per rail.

if you use a regulator make sure it is a very beefy one that can handle all the current the amp needs driving 4 ohms at 300W you will need a considerable heatsink for this too!

Or you could see if it is possible to run the power transistors at 80V safely and then use a lower current regulator for the rest of the circuit to run off 70V?

Guytou: sounds like he cant do that because he only has taps for 115V and 230V and nothing in between.

Craig

This circuit should work fine on 80V rails but you will need to use different output transistors, such as the MJ15024/5 or the MJ21193/4. I'd also change Q15/Q16 to MJE15032/3 if you can as these are higher current driver transistors.

You may also want to replace the small signal devices with 2N5401/5551 or MPSA42/92. I would probably use the 2N devices for the LTP, and MPSA42/92 for everything else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.