Readjusting balance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2005, 10:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jasmeleg
Default Readjusting balance

Yes I know this if probely a noob question but I am going to ask it anyways. Ok so I was listening to some music on my Sansui G-7500 and noticed that my left speaker was louder then my right. So I hooked up my multimeter and found that there was a .4v gap between the Left and Right Channles. My question is how do I correct this? I know that if I turn my Balance alittle more to the Right channle it will even out but then It looks kinda funky. I have read somewhere that you can adjust some of the potencimeters inside the amp to correct this. Is this correct? Thanks for reading.
Ps: For checking the votage I just played a 60hz and 50hz test tone on my computer which is hooked into my reciever and my multimeter on AC voltage. It also does this when it is on the radio so it is not my computer.
Old 10th September 2005, 11:09 PM   #2
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is probably down to the volume pot being inaccurate between channels. You could probably fit a new one with better tolerance to cure this.
Old 11th September 2005, 03:46 PM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jasmeleg,
Most volume controls do not track very well. Your new one could easily be worse that the original one unless you buy an expensive control. Do not expect perfection.

If your set has a -20dB mute switch on it, try and use that. Your volume control will be turned up to a mucher higher but more linear portion of the control.

You may want to troubleshoot by greatly reducing the input level from your computer and running the volume control to maximum. Check the channel balance again in case something else is going on.

-Chris
Old 12th September 2005, 10:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Chances are you have dirty controls.

Clean all the pots and switches before you start replacing things.

...and no, there is no such thing to even out a difference between the L and R channels, save for the balance control.

Hide this!Advertise here!