Electronic Lamps, electricity, i need help, lamps burning, needing procedure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2005, 01:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Electronic Lamps, electricity, i need help, lamps burning, needing procedure

Intructions, as i could find that our forum has a lot of Electrical Enginneers that can help me.

.................................................. ...............................................

I need some help, form Electricity Enginneers and all experienced guys related the subject.

Electronics lamps burning constantly.

I have one small appartment, 200 meters distant the place i leave that is rented.

The one that rent the appartment is asking some electricall inspection, as lamps are burning too much constantly, and in special in two rooms.

I have not idea about the reason why..... and asking you guys, if someone have an idea about the possible causes.

As i will go to this appartment, to make some inspection visit, i will go with an electrician that also do not know the possible causes...so...i am needing some instructions.

Do you think oxide connections.... faulting switches.... under voltage, spikes?... have some idea...as i want to fix this problem, this is my responsability, as apartment was rented as good to leave, and now presenting problems that have to be fixed.

All instructions or suggestions...or procedure instructions are welcome..as i am feeling alike a blind man walking between two gangs that are figthing and bullets passing near me coming from everywhere...do not know how to fix the problem!!!

Regards,

Carlos
Old 6th September 2005, 02:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

1° check for overvoltage
2° check for overheating ( ovrsised bulb in a small shade )
3° check for vibrations ( d'ont rattle a bulb under voltage )
4° cheap bulb
5° instant cooling ( dont spill water on a ligtbulb )
Old 6th September 2005, 03:03 PM   #3
mzzj is offline mzzj  Finland
diyAudio Member

check voltage on outlet, 10% extra voltage drops your lamp lifetime dramatically (if you meant incadescent lamps, not some "electronic" fluorescent lamps)
Old 6th September 2005, 03:29 PM   #4
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
Surely saci-pererê is involved ...
Old 7th September 2005, 12:32 AM   #5
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Poor wiring...someone switched the neutal instead of the hot wire and light bulb is being grounded? A shorted switch is a posibility. Always look for the most obvious first even if it seems easy to overlook.

What excactly are you experiencing. Some lights are brighter in certain rooms and others are dimmer? Sometimes a misbalanced main transformer where the secondary center tap is bad connection to neutral maybe from corrosion, can cause higher voltage on one side and lower on the other and can pop lightbulbs.
lots of moisture in Brazil isn't there?

maybe a switch or wire is bad in a 3 way connection. (2 switches for one light)

Just be sure to use common sense so you don't get hurt and keep a meter handy.
Old 7th September 2005, 12:43 AM   #6
Banned

1)i think your lamps are fakes
2)calm down
3)ask an electricity inspector to check wiring
4)good luck
Old 7th September 2005, 12:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I once rented an apartment and in playing with my amplifier circuits, noticed that the unloaded transformer secondary voltage was like 6-8volts higer than it used to be. So this led me to measure the line voltage with my handy dany voltmeter and found the line was about 138V. This was confirmed by others living there by complaints that light bulbs didn't last very long. I notified the utility company and come to find out, the main transformer feed to that apartment complex used to also feed another building that was recently vacant and disconected. So they had to move the tap on the primary to include more turns in the primary to lower the voltage. Who knows, I may have prevented a fire!!
Old 7th September 2005, 12:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mastertech
1)i think your lamps are fakes
2)calm down
3)ask an electricity inspector to check wiring
4)good luck

Ha Ha fake lamps...are these the ones made in China beside where they make fake transistors??
Old 7th September 2005, 01:18 AM   #9
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I just uncovered a box of NOS GE bulbs. They were beside a box of pretested Sylvania flash bulbs. The light is truer than any bulb produced today! No really, they've been reviewed and also passed an ABX test.

-Chris
Old 7th September 2005, 04:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiofan
1° check for overvoltage
2° check for overheating ( ovrsised bulb in a small shade )
3° check for vibrations ( d'ont rattle a bulb under voltage )
4° cheap bulb
5° instant cooling ( dont spill water on a ligtbulb )
These seem like the only possible reasons to me. Bad wiring means it will work, not work or be dangerous.

The only other possiblity is this unit is on the same circuit as a certain faulty lift. Nasty voltage spikes and transients.

It would probably be cheaper to give the tenants a box of free globes and rent to unit to blind people in the future.

Regards
Greg

(still downloading.....)

Hide this!Advertise here!