Nak PA7 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks oPossum,
That's the beast. There is still the mod PCB for the current limiter we need to find.
If the text were more clear .... Can you scan the main PCB to give others an idea of the size? 14 outputs per channel doesn't seem to convey the idea like a picture.

-Chris

This design has a characteristically poor HF PSRR so you will be listening to PS artefacts so best to eliminate those half wave Class AB ones in the most inelegant way possible - by wasting power running such a monster in Class A.

This type of dinosaur will be the first to go in the dawning of the new era of energy efficiency. RIP.

Cheers,
greg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Greg,
Have you had a chance to hear or test these amps? Just curious.

What you say might be true, but they sound very smooth. The front end looks well isolated from the supplies. No worse than many others and better than some.

The outputs were run warm because they are not in the feedback loop and needed to be run in a more linear part of their curves - Stassis you know. I can think of a few other amps that ran at least as warm as a normal A/B with everything in the feedback loop.

True, they are not as efficient as most other amps, I'll give you that.

-Chris

Hi anatech,

It uses a typical (albeit cascoded) diff'l input followed by a high gain Vas and miller comp which kills HF PSRR so it needs clean supplies to sound any good. Class A does that (and linearises the outputs). There are far more elegant ways of achieving the ends without resorting to Class A.

I don't see any surprises here - nothing to hunt one down to audition. It should sound smooth - I guess because it faces none of the hard challenges but sidesteps them with Class A.

This is Sooo characteristic of the monster amps that solve nothing really well and can be easily blown away with a sweet little low bias Class AB 1/10th the size.

I guess what really irks me about such products is that they perpetuate the myth that this is necessary to achieve audio nirvana when all it really does is salve small appendage syndrome or a need for excess, neither of which I believe in.

Cheers,

here is circuit

Attachments

• pa7.jpg
    pa7.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,513
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.