Tone ctrl bypass reduces volume?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my cheapo-vintage-Toshiba-integrated-amplifier, I decided to bypass the tone control board. I removed the ground wire and connected Lin with Lout and Rin with Rout together.

Since I've done this, the gain turned lower than before : I have to put volume pot on 2 instead of ½. Also, now, the gain and tone greatly depends of the source. The tuner sounds crappy with tons of bass, and the CD player is clear, loud and practically bass free.

Does someone knows how can this happen? Impedance?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi DragonMaster,
Is it possible that your tone control circuit is in the feedback loop of the amplifer stage?. To test, put a 22K resistor between the in and out. If the tone controls were in the feedback network the gain will go up. Install an equivalent resistance to the impedance of the tone control circuit. Trial and error with on channel will get you there.
-Chris

Tomorrow I'll have the amp under hand and I'll be near the local shop, so I can get some resistors.

Putting resistors will be helpful to make the volume more stable, but I'll be stuck with pot tracking problems. Between 0 and 1, the tracking is really unstable, there are bumps in the volume that are different between both channels. The problem is that it's not really easy to find 4-pin/channel pots.

Also, when the tone board was connected, the balance was working worse than now(It still is) : It was not working until -8/+8. The only effect it had was that it would trigger the channels on and off.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You may be further ahead to reconnect things as they were. If the controls were in the feedback path, then there is no additional distortion to worry about. Any small deviation from flat response pales in comparison to your room and speakers.
-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.