Here's a good power amp fault

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi andjur78,
I've also seen that conductive glue. It is the cause of the corrosion as well. You should find that it will chip away for the most part. The plyable stuff needs to be cut and yanked out. I bet that's your problem.

I remove this whenever I see it. The darker brown it is, the lower the resistance tends to be.

-Chris

The caps dont actually look that bad. I have had seen the leaking (powdery) electros before, but these "look" ok. But when is a cap really a cap? Maybe these are cheap derrivitaves of the real electrolytic capacitor as we know (have known) it??
(I,m sure there would be a website dedicated to electro caps and brands out there somewhere)

I don't know exactly what that brown gunk is but it sure does show up in alot of audio gear that has been made in China .
All the AMC stuff I have seen over time uses this glue around the base of caps and Xtals. "Well done" for Welltronics!!
...maybe it is some kind of space age vegemite that astronaughts use on their sanwiches:D

Anyway,I will clean the pcb, replace all electros and reassemble it this week. Then its soak test time again.
Stand back...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi andjur78,
The glue is used in PCB manufacture to hold the heavier components in place during soldering. I've seen it on Sony and NEC made PCB's as well. I think this is your only problem. Other components should be fine as long as the lead isn't corroded too much.

Someone once told me this wonderful stuff was called "Sonybond". I can't say for sure, but I know that Sony never admits to anything when they make a mistake.

-Chris

Ok for all who are interested: It is not the caps!!!

I Replaced all electros, cleaned the pcb and went over every solder joint and the fault is still exhibited.

Now I will home in on the front end differential pair.

If anyone is interested in posts of the ongoing servicing of this amp please let me know and I will continue to post any updates.

Its never too late!
Audio will always be here;)

This repair is a real pain...one would feel like a large reward after this nailing one ...:cool
I will remove the front end diff pair NPN package and substitute for another known working one. This is a Sanyo device 2SC3067
130 volt , 50mA.(google finds the spec sheet)
I don't know of any equivalents to it as yet.
Will keep all informed...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi andjur78,
I'm lost. What is the locator number for that part? All I saw were single TO-92 parts. 2SC1681, 2SA841 types are used as the original parts. 60V, 50 mA, 200mW, hFE 450 ish. This is a low noise part. 2SC1775A and 2SA872A are good subs. Do not waste your time with ECG or NTE parts. The cross reference book is useless, don't use it.

You can use almost anything to substitute to see if that's the problem and get the correct part later.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.