Cheaper, good quality potentiometers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2001, 10:32 PM   #11
Geoff is offline Geoff  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

PaulB

Like you, I have been unable to find any details of the Panasonic potentiometer on the web. I've tried three Panasonic sites (UK US and Japan) but none list it. My catalogues are a couple of years out of date so it may be discontinued now (but it isn't included in Panasonic's discontinued list).

There are (were) two UK suppliers that I am aware of, one does not have a website and the other does not list the item so may no longer stock it. The potentiometer was described as either a 'Panasonic for Audio' or a 'Panasonic Series EWC PA'. It was only available in dual log 10k or 100k. It had multiple contact wipers, silver internal contacts, gold plated leadouts, vibration isolating construction and laser trimming. The case was metal alloy (21mm x 23mm x 22mm) and channel separation was improved by the use of a ground plate. Channel accuracy was guaranteed to <2dB or <0.5dB (depending on which catalogue one looks at) and it was widely acknowledged as being one of the best audio pots available. The price in the UK a couple of years ago was about 4 times that for an Alps 'Blue'.

James

The Vishay-Sfernice P11 pots stocked by Farnell, RS etc. are not the same as the ones sold by RATA and other 'Audiophile' suppliers (they are about 15% of the price for a start!). The P11s are available in several grades. The Farnell variety is the basic grade with 10% tolerance and standard channel balance. The RATA etc. variety is a higher grade (J119 - available to special order) with 5% tolerance and channel balance/accuracy to 0.42dB (or <0.3dB or <0.8dB, it depends which catalogue you read).

The advantage with the Sfernice over the Alps, Panasonic etc is its size (12.5mm x 12.5mm x 16mm) so it will fit as a replacement in more situations. If close channel matching is not a primary requirement, the P11s from Farnell should be a very good buy. They will sound similar to the higher grade version (which I have used for several years and found to be very good), but without the inflated price and with better availability.

Geoff

Old 29th August 2001, 12:47 AM   #12
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dshortt9
Check this link: http://hometown.aol.com/brigar2/brigar.html
They have nice 50k or 100k Alps pots for 1.95 and motorized Alps for 5.95. Buy a lifetime supply at these prices. I'm not sure of the taper, possibly someone can enlighten us from the product numbers.
Did you notice the 2KVA toroidal transformer they sell for $60! 84 VAC, CT at 20 amps, what a steal, I pay more than that for a 750 VA transformer.

Phil
Old 29th August 2001, 06:36 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes, I posted these in another thread. These also have a 12V winding for the hybrid fans. I bought 4 and they are very beefy! They also have 30,000 and 15,000 ufd 63V Caps made for Mcintosh with a 95 datecode for cheap. They appear to be high quality low esr types.
Old 29th August 2001, 09:42 PM   #14
weeghel is offline weeghel  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to weeghel
Default panasonic pots

Hi,

panasonic pots are sold by schuro in germany

http://www.schuro.de/panasoni.htm

Good luck!

Edit: Please note that schuro also sells the GOLDplated elma pots! (Even in combination with holco resistors, but then it becoms somewhat expensive, at $100. That rivals DACT)

[Edited by weeghel on 08-29-2001 at 04:46 PM]
Old 29th August 2001, 09:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dshortt9
They also have 30,000 and 15,000 ufd 63V Caps made for Mcintosh with a 95 datecode for cheap. They appear to be high quality low esr types. [/B]
I guess I've replaced too many dried out electrolytic caps to feel very good about buying anything made 6 years ago. Did they work out alright for you? The problem with electrolytics is that the capacitance continually decreases the older they get(elevated temperature and high ripple current accelerate this process). Even if these are cheap, what's the point of putting in big caps if they only have half their nominal capacitance. Much as I love to save money when I can, I don't usually buy surplus electrolytics.

Phil
Old 29th August 2001, 10:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

A quick note on those transformers Brigar's selling...
I don't think that they're 2kVA, more like 1kVA, judging from the mass. There are no specs on the transformer, itself.
I made a quick check trying to find a phone number for the manufacturer, but was unable to find anything; they may be out of business. I also had a helluva time getting a color code out of Brigar for the wires on the transformer.
Caveat emptor.

Grey
Old 29th August 2001, 10:40 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

They could be fibbing, but 84 V x 20 A is 1680 VA. Add in the 12 V winding and you're pretty close to 2KVA.

I have a hard time judging something like that by eye or feel. The best way I've found to take the true measure of a transformer is to see how well it regulates under a load. If someone claims 1000 VA then if I see much more than a 10% voltage droop when I pull that much power out of it I start getting suspicious. The larger Plinton units are rated for 4% regulation at full power and that's pretty close to what I measured from the 750 VA size.

Phil
Old 29th August 2001, 10:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I might be getting one of these, would you mind emailing me the wiring diagram?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 30th August 2001, 06:34 PM   #19
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Going back to pots, I have had good luck with allen-bradley. Never exerienced noises even after decades of operation.
Old 1st September 2001, 02:07 PM   #20
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Sfernice PA11 against P11

Geoff

I am somewhat confused:
Should that mean that the P11 is better than the more than three times more expensive PA11 ?
Here in Austria these items are available via RS Components, the PA11 only as 2 x 10k log Audio Pot for 22.24 Euro, the P11 as a linear double pot (2 x 100k lin would need law faking resistors, log is only available single) for only 7 Euro.

I am just about ordering some parts from RS, so any experiences or advices are greatly appreciated.

best whishes
Klaus

Hide this!Advertise here!