How should I integrate this remote volume control? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2005, 01:03 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I got the wiring wrong then ...

I treated centre as GND and the end pins and in and out! I'll have to fix this and try it again, thanks

Question: is there any real purpose to a preamp except for gain and volume/balance control?

Suppose I don't need the gain and balance ... what do I lose by not having a preamp?

Put another way ... what is hard about getting a passive pot right compared to a preamp? How is it different?
Old 2nd September 2005, 02:31 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

There are 2 gain settings on the Behringer, and I have it on the one that doesn't seem to add any gain. I'll have to check that one again though ...
Old 2nd September 2005, 02:58 PM   #13
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulspencer
IQuestion: is there any real purpose to a preamp except for gain and volume/balance control?

Suppose I don't need the gain and balance ... what do I lose by not having a preamp?

Put another way ... what is hard about getting a passive pot right compared to a preamp? How is it different?
Aside from gain, preamp can provide two things, high impedence to the previous stage, and adequate current (low impedence) to maintain the voltage signal into the next stage - in other words, a buffer. The usual rule of thumb is that the input impedence of a stage should be at least 10 times the output impedence of the previous stage. With that ratio you shouldn't have gross distortion, but a higher ratio might sound better. Add a buffer to your volume control, and you have a "preamp" with no gain.

Sheldon
Old 2nd September 2005, 03:06 PM   #14
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

In theory a pre amp only needs a volume control which a passive can do but there are problems with matching the source and amp impedance and driving the low level signal cables especially if they are longer than 1m.

Passive when working is very yummy and I have 2 amps working that way which are LM3875 chipamps with the pot inside with the power amp. I've tried it with bipolars and it didn't work for me and ended up with a rolled off response such as loss of some bass, so active was the way to go and I just used a simple design using a OPA2134 op amp for 6dB gain.

I don't completely understand it and if I did I probably could have got the others to work.

Best bet is to try and listen..... only way to find out.
Old 3rd September 2005, 12:09 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm, I think I like the sound of active at this point. My main goal at this point is to find the quickest and easiest way to get this thing in (remote vol control) without any acoustic penalty compared to what I have now.
Old 3rd September 2005, 01:13 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

A better motorised pot wouldn't hurt as those 20K Alpha motorised can suck. I had 1 good one out of 3.
Old 3rd September 2005, 02:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

What's wrong with them? I thought a pot was a pot!
Old 3rd September 2005, 11:58 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Oils ain't oils and the same with pots.

Channel balance, tracking, noises, pops, farts, feel, sonics, noisy motors.... they're all different. PD has a good thread in the Chipamp section and don't confuse this Alpha with the one in the thread as it's a different beast. 2 of mine were unusable (they were to be replaced anyway) due to poor sonics and clatter but 1 was a beauty but a noisy motor, whirrrrrrr.... made on Wednesday

That's why earlier in this thread, I suggested the Alps pot that PD was selling..... about AU$22 shipped and very nice and great value. If you're happy, stick with the Alpha.

Hide this!Advertise here!