Sumo Polaris 310 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2005, 11:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sumo Polaris 310

Here's a PDF of the schematic -- I blew out one channel so had to trace it out. The transistors used inthe original are 2SK405 and 2SJ115 for the output stage, and 2SA1360 2SC3423 for the va stage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf polaris_sumo.pdf (74.7 KB, 1217 views)
Old 28th August 2005, 01:56 AM   #2
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
How does it sound???
Old 28th August 2005, 11:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

the one channel which is working sounds spectacular -- I have owned this amp since the 1980's but it was used by my son with a set of Swan's and I think that he overdrove it.

the THD at 1kHz around 60W was 0.02% if that matters.
Old 29th August 2005, 01:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

replaced the original MOSFETs with IRF'S -- initially the distortion was quite high, 0.50% but by adjusting VR1 and VR2 both channels match at 0.01% to 0.02%.
Old 29th August 2005, 11:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
replaced the original MOSFETs with IRF'S -- initially the distortion was quite high, 0.50% but by adjusting VR1 and VR2 both channels match at 0.01% to 0.02%.

If you are replacing the original parts types, you might try using a better chip for U2 and a better cap for C9.

A 741 is hardly a low-offset IC, and something like an LF411 might be a better option. There are other types, but that might be easier to find and cheap too.

DC servos are used to eliminate the feedback large cap on the gain. But that doesn't mean that no audio is passing through any caps, as it is going through the servo cap C9. This cap should be a high quality one, preferably a film type. As that value is a bit high for such a type and you might have some trouble finding pcb space to hold it, a better eletrolytic should do it.

Carlos
Old 29th August 2005, 12:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Carlos

Yes, I just wanted to get the amp up and running first -- the opamp's bypass caps are far removed from the opamp itself -- meaning that they are useless -- I can get a non-polar electrolytic and byass it with 100nF MKT for C9 --

anything more is gilding the lilly (but I am tempted) -- it sounds good, the distortion at low levels is 0.03% on both channels, and at high levels a little over 0.01%
Old 29th August 2005, 01:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
Yes, I just wanted to get the amp up and running first -- the opamp's bypass caps are far removed from the opamp itself -- meaning that they are useless -- I can get a non-polar electrolytic and byass it with 100nF MKT for C9 --

anything more is gilding the lilly (but I am tempted) -- it sounds good, the distortion at low levels is 0.03% on both channels, and at high levels a little over 0.01%
Getting the amp running is certainly the most important thing.

I didn't refer to the opamp's bypass caps, but C9, which is in series with the chip's output. Changing the chip might bring the greatest gain, but do that using a chip socket, if it's not already provided for.

For the cap it might be better trying several types and values.

These two mods I would not consider gilding the lilly, as they are part of the feedback. If you go for it, change the chip first and then try different cap values and types.

Or write to Buongiorno, who designed the amp and might have something to say on potential improvements. That might be the wise thing to do.

Carlos
Old 30th August 2005, 08:54 AM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Bongiorno did not design that amp, and does not like FETs.
Old 30th August 2005, 10:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi

Something is wrong in the schematic , with C9 in series with the output of the Op Amp , the op amp can't do anything to control the offset...
Old 30th August 2005, 12:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I didn't really bother to check the value of the compensation caps in the feedback network -- I'd have to unsolder the part to get to it.

with respect to C9 -- I will take it apart again and retrace

Hide this!Advertise here!