OnSemi ThermalTrak - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2005, 06:29 PM   #1
Arius is offline Arius  United States
diyAudio Member

Default OnSemi ThermalTrak

Anybody has any interest in using OnSemi's ThermalTrak devices as the output devices in a Leach-clone?

They are not necessary the best method for biasing an output stage as evidenced by D.Self's work (Chapter Output Stage I) but I'd like to experiment with them. Besides, OnSemi claims measurable improvement.

If there is interest, then we can discuss them here. If not, I can proceed with trying them out and reporting in later. Got the parts in hand, so it'll be wasteful to not try them out.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NJL3281D.PDF
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/NJL3281D.PDF
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/AND8196-D.PDF

One immediate question I have is whether to use a modified Vbe bias circuit (as per Leach) or use the internal diodes directly and forgo adjustment capability.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thermaltrak_s.jpg (27.5 KB, 499 views)
Old 23rd August 2005, 06:46 PM   #2
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
where have you got them, lucky man?
i'm waiting for my samples for 6 months...
Old 23rd August 2005, 08:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was surprised myself at how fast OnSemi was. I ordered them last Friday and they came in today from Arizona.

I really didn't expect them to send any because I truthfully told them my sample request was for lab use, not production product.

Well I suppose it helps if you are currently an OnSemi customer, which I am. Hopefully you'll get yours soon.
Old 23rd August 2005, 10:03 PM   #4
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
thank you, ordered them for the second time

Quote:
or use the internal diodes directly and forget adjustment capability
pls, allow me a week and I'll compare diode and base-emitter junction current-voltage curves
Old 24th August 2005, 03:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, a quick exercise with the simulator shows a few possibilities. Think I'll use a modified VBE amplifier bias generator with the 6 diodes (3 output pairs) in the base-collector leg. Now all I need to do is try it out to see how well it tracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6diode_vq_s.jpg (21.0 KB, 364 views)
Old 26th August 2005, 09:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

i saw these parts first time in CES2005. Really want to try them (available fom Digikey).
Old 26th August 2005, 02:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was surprised myself at how fast OnSemi was. I ordered them last Friday and they came in today from Arizona.
This is because the parts come from Digi-Key, next day air. Motorola has arrangements with Digi-Key to ship most of their samples from there.

I hope to God Motorola does very well financially, otherwise they may stop doing this.
Old 26th August 2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by telewatt
...I hope to God Motorola does very well financially, otherwise they may stop doing this.
You do subsequently buy their products if the samples prove to be good don't you? Of course if people were only ordering samples out of greed then they would probably have to stop eventually, but none of us are like that, are we?
Old 26th August 2005, 04:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, I use OnSemi parts at work and I can say that their sample service is never that fast (unless it's a part from their preferred 24hr program).

Many times, the parts come out of Asia. Even parts from within the US have about a one week turn.

Anyhoo, you're right. Digikey stocks them now and they're about the same as the regular MJL parts in price.

About using the thermal traks themselves, I was thinking of using them (their internal diodes that is) in a modified VBE multiplier, except for one device. That last device will be the temp sensor for the protection circuit. That means one output stage junction will be uncompensated. Assuming equal current sharing, I think that'll be ok. Comments, anyone?

Hide this!Advertise here!